PDA

View Full Version : Mini Mauser Hornet? Rem 799

brotherdarrell
01-14-2013, 11:05 PM
So, what are the latest opinions of these rifles?

The LGS just took in one of these on consignment and is listed @ 586.99. It appears to be in very good condition. It has a 10x42 Vism? scope mounted.

I have been looking for a good deal on a Hornet. I 'think' this price sound about right and the only issue I have is that I do not want the scope.

Would you guys educate me on what I need to know/look for on this rifle? And what are the going rates for these minus the scope?

Thanks for all info.

brotherdarrell

pietro
01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
I'd say you'd be getting that scope for about $100.

While I wouldn't say that to the seller, I would tell him that I wasn't interested in the scope (maybe because I already have one ?), and ask how much he valued the scope at.

If he gives a scope value, I'd take it off his asking price & make a "cash-on-the-counter" (NOT a verbal) offer at that price & wait to see what he does.

Those mini-Mausers were/are made by Zavasta, IIRC, and are pretty durn nice - the only thing I'd look for is any obvious serious neglect/abuse.

Hackleback
01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
New ones avalible here. http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php

No_1
01-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Dad recently had one for a short period of time. I handled it and really liked it except for the box magazine that hung down below the rifle. Dad decided he would like a spare magazine (just in case) for it but none are available ANYWHERE so he sold it before it was ever shot.

brotherdarrell
01-15-2013, 11:13 PM
New ones avalible here. http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php

So,at $489.00 new and adding shipping and transfer fee that would put it at about $550.00 + for new.

After looking it over real well today the number I keep coming up with is $500 at the most minus the scope. Not sure if the seller will go that low, but who knows. I would put in very good to excellent condition. I have a couple of weeks to think it over before funds are available, so if someone gets to it first I am off the hook.

brotherdarrell

9.3X62AL
01-16-2013, 01:59 AM
I looked at the K-Var site also--that little Hornet variant is an interesting critter. I would like a bit more info on their accuracy reputation before choosing the Rem 799 or the K-Var M-85 over the CZ-527, which has a STELLAR rep for out-of-box accuracy. Yeah, they cost a bit more, but I'm willing to pay more for better performance. No-brainer, that.

CLAYPOOL
01-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I bought one of those new and STILL don't have a scope on it. The factory recommened scope mounts don't/aren't doing something right to lower/raise them to line up with my columator (sp). I like the little rifle, I just can't shoot it...

CLAYPOOL
01-16-2013, 11:08 PM
That clip issue may be a problem down the road..

CLAYPOOL
01-16-2013, 11:09 PM
They are a very nice, "Little MINI Bolt"..

Hackleback
01-16-2013, 11:37 PM
The Remington 799 are the exact same rifle as the k Vars. Remington imported these and the 798 for a while from Zastava. Going with k var, you get a new rifle and can select a few options like a double trigger and lefties. Do not know anything about the clip issue. For more info, go to the accurate reloading site and look under the Zastava group buy, there are several threads.

altheating
01-17-2013, 12:02 AM
The 799 is a nice little rifle. I rechambered mine to K Hornet. Its a great shooter. I cut the magazine down to a flush fit 2 round mag. It has never had a jword through it. What I really want is a Charles Daly (zastava) in 223.

Hackleback
01-17-2013, 12:28 AM
The 799 is a nice little rifle. I rechambered mine to K Hornet. Its a great shooter. I cut the magazine down to a flush fit 2 round mag. It has never had a jword through it. What I really want is a Charles Daly (zastava) in 223.

And K var has/had these as well. They imported a bunch of the mini mausers and mausers in both left hand and right in multiple cals ranging from the hornet. To 458 win mag.

GabbyM
01-17-2013, 01:19 AM
Here is my 2 cent opinion on the rifle and Hornet in general.

Get a rifle in 222 Rem with a 1-14 standard twist barrel.
You can form brass from 5.56mm NATO in a pinch or still buy Lapua brass on the high end of the spectrum. Brass supply alone suddenly makes the 222 more economical than the Hornet. Shoot 60 grain boolits at 2400 fps and be a happy camper.

Another option is a 223 Rem with 1:14” twist barrel.

CZ makes rifles in 222 Rem.

pietro
01-17-2013, 02:26 PM

You can form brass from 5.56mm NATO in a pinch or still buy Lapua brass on the high end of the spectrum. Brass supply alone suddenly makes the 222 more economical than the Hornet. Shoot 60 grain boolits at 2400 fps and be a happy camper.

All well & good; but some folks need (due to shooting in a densely-populated area) , or want, a quieter CF round - and the Hornet fits the bill .

And, believe it or not - some shooters just prefer not to handload.

brotherdarrell
01-17-2013, 10:31 PM

I have a Rem. 788 that fits that description to a T.[smilie=1:

brotherdarrell

altheating
01-19-2013, 08:45 PM
My search is over! I found a Charles Daly in 222.