PDA

View Full Version : 444s not ejecting

Blammer
01-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Ok just got my new to me 444S.

Put a round in the chamber then tried to eject it. The claw apparently didn't grab the case, on several tries. I tipped barrel up let round slide out then tipped gun sideways and let it fall out.

I would like to take this gun all the way apart for a good cleaning too.

What is the best way to take it apart?

I just don't want to start unscrewing all the screws I see until it falls apart, that can't be good.

After I take it apart I'll eyeball the ejection claw and take suggestions too on what to look for and how to fix it.

Thanks!

btroj
01-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Take the lever out, remove the bolt and ejector.
Take off the buttstock. You can see the mainspring and the piece that holds it in place. I put a shop rag per this part and the spring and tap with a screwdriver to push that piece out from between the upper and lower tangs.
With tension off the hammer strut remove all the screws and everything falls out. Keep an idea where each screw goes, the one in from of the trigger plate and the one on the side are similar in size. Don't confuse which goes where.

I find I can strip the action, clean it, lube it, and reassemble in under 30 minutes. It is a simple action.

I learned this on my own. Once you do it once you get the hang quickly. 336, 444, 1895, and 1894 are all about the same.

Let me know if I can be of more help. It is simple once you get to looking at it.

My 1894 in 32-20 is bad about extraction if chamber gets dirty. And texhnically you had a failure to extract, not eject. Poor ejection means case is out of chamber but doesn't eject from action .

RickinTN
01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Many extractors don't have enough tension on them. They have to be removed from the bolt and bent. Gently take a pair of needle-nose pliers and push it off from the open side, bend the front
"in" a little and re-intstall. It is pretty common for Marlin levers not to have enough extractor grip to get a good hold on the case rim.
Good Luck,
Rick

Blammer
01-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Blammer
01-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Ok, got it competely apart! Cleaned and back together!

Well actally not all the way back together.

The extractor was toast, so I ordered a new one from Brownell's.

Waiting sucks. :)

btroj
01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Pretty simple action, isn't it?

That is what I like most about Marlins.

Blammer
01-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Yep, not too complicated, the mag tube was more complicated to get back together than anything else.

Blammer
01-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Brownell's is FAST! ordered the ejector and a shell holder two days ago, it's HERE and installed and it works perfectly. Yea Brownell's!

RickinTN
01-18-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm confused. Was it the ejector? or the extractor? which you replaced?

btroj
01-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Rick, I am going with a replaced extractor.

Blammer, was the part you replaced set into the side of the receiver or is it a part attached to the bolt?

Ejector is set into side of receiver, extractor is a part of the bolt. One remover case from chamber, other removes it from the action.

Blammer
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
extractor, the part that has a C with an ARM that grabs the shell to pull it out of the chamber, it attaches to the bolt.

sorry about the confusion guys, these leverguns are new to me.

btroj
01-19-2013, 11:10 PM
How you was it to remove the extractor? Never have taken the bolt apart on one of these guns.

Blammer
01-20-2013, 10:31 AM
I just got a flat head screwdriver and pried up until I thought I was gonna break something and Piiiiiiinng! it came off and flew across the room. I didn't care anyways if I broke it as it was broken already, and then I just 'snapped' the new one in place.

Gtek
01-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Should have slicked her up a little when you had apart. Polish the back of ejector, bolt contact area pads (usually a casting line). Polish the track on left side of bolt that it rides in (1/8" square file/crocus). Now that you have a procedure for removing extractor-remove. Break all sharp edges, extractor track, ejector, lever slot-top/bottom, rear firing pin/locking bolt area, and hammer groove. Do not get into hammer contact camming area bottom rear. If weapon is used I would at this time remove both roll pins and clean/inspect firing pins and bore and freedom of movement checks ( do not lose track of rear firing pin spring on diss.). Previous may have been WD-40 fan! Way to many threads over the years about light strikes, takes a couple and you know. This is one of the biggies in slickin-er up. Marlinitis- it is much more than a disease. Gtek