PDA

View Full Version : 7x6.8 SPCII or 7mm RWH

Harter66
01-14-2013, 07:12 PM
The platform a 1941 Tierni Carcano bbl'd action .Why I chose it instead of a couple of ugly Mausers, .1 head space and brass at a buck a pop. The rest of the parts were very well fitted and polished and it was almost free. The Carcano (originally a 6.5x52) presents some challenges like what will fit in the bolt head. 35 Remington, 38/357 mag/max,762x39,and the rimless Remington&aposs 25,30,32, 40S&W,10mm,357Sig. Then there's the enblock clips. A few were converted/built for the 7.92x57 so the bolt face could be relieved for a "common" .473 head. The normal pressures of 52kpsi in the 308 family were a put off to me. The little Carcano has a larger thread od on the bbl. too.

Everyone should have a custom 1 off maybe even wildcat of their own. I happen to be set up for 32 Remington so the little 6.8 SPC w/30 as a parent seemed like an option too. Well a 7mm bbl blank came my way. 7-30 waters looked good but I didn&apt want to turn rims and grooves nor put out for the bolt face mod. Then I thought "hey I'll just open up the 7-30 body to the 6.8 common brass just have to bump the neck .007 and the 7-30 should be pretty cast friendly. So off I went w/my plan for the 7mm RWH aka 7x6.8 SPC. Pretty simple build and a quick lap of some standard dies and i'm shooting..... or not. 1st thing that buggered things up,was that the reamers were weeks late, due to the other guy not returning them on time. Next apparently the 6.8 SPCII has a larger neck than the original Remmy in fact its bigger than the 7-30. Had I known that before hand the 7mm throater would have been ordered w/the 6.8 SPCII reamer. Details...... lil'bitty ones.

Goodsteel has done some beautiful work getting the bbl hooked to the action in spite of the "stumbling blocks" that have fallen in his way. His patience w/me and my wants (and illconcieved plans) and the learning curve are 2nd to none. He has also put this +-.01 action together at a level of +-.0005, 1/10 of industry standards. I hope my wood work does justice to his metal work. A thank you to paul h here also for the very good deal on the Montana Rifleman bbl.

More to come as it comes together w/wood and bedding.

texassako
01-16-2013, 12:13 AM
I want to see the finished product since I have several Carcano sporters gathering dust. Several started projects around but no one posts the finished rifle. I was pondering a .35 Rem conversion of one and have been working on and off in my spare time on a flush floorplate with a 3 shot clip to try on a strange sporter/target rifle someone else created and I picked up for the cost of the ammo and scopes it came with.

Harter66
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
How are the scopes fitted on yours?

During my search I turned up a 6,5-35 Remington die set by RCBS. Mine had a gain twist bbl cut at 18 1/2 inches so only very light Boolits would have worked. W/the standard 7mm bbl I could shoot 175s but that would be subsonic loads in this I think.

The picture function is beating me up here so here's a link to the work in progress. http://gunslingersgulch.com/index.php?topic=3026.0

texassako
01-17-2013, 12:05 AM
The one with a scope uses a old, modified Wards(Mossberg) rimfire side mount and rings. It uses 3/4" rings and the scopes(Mossberg and Research Enterprises from Australia) seem to hold zero. I need to find another mount or clean it up since this one is a bit banged up from being knocked around. Pic with the Mossberg on it.

Harter66
01-17-2013, 10:50 AM
That's a slick set up. It would be kind of a long crowd for me as a lefty. But a pretty nice set up just the same.