PDA

View Full Version : Wrinkled Jackets

Sliver Shooter
01-14-2013, 06:42 PM
I've been working on making boolitsout of 22lr cases. Got everything going well accept for the forming die. I'm getting wrinkled jackets on the boolits. They wrinkle and stick in the die. The brass is annealed. Do I need to do some polishing and if so, how do I do that?

Reload3006
01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
are you talking about wrinkling when you derim the empty? or when you seat your core or when you point form? .... sticking in the die is probably a lube issue.

Sliver Shooter
01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
When I form the point they wrinkle and stick.

Reload3006
01-14-2013, 07:36 PM
most of the time that is from too light a bullet. it needs lead in the tip also too much lube can cause oil dents. They dont have to be polished to make bullets. also also you never said what kind of dies your using if you use BTs dies or CH4d dies then I am not the person to help you. But for Dr. Blackmon and Corbin or RCE dies if you are nt pointing narrow enough the ejection punch can sometimes stick in the jacket making it hard to remove. I would assume the same for BTs dies. The more you narrow the point the easier it is for the ejector punch to knock the bullet out of the die. Sounds to me like you may have better luck with a heavier bullet.

MIBULLETS
01-14-2013, 08:13 PM
If you post a picture, we can most likely identify the problem quickly.

firefly1957
01-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Are you forming .224 bullets? Or bumping up to another caliber.

runfiverun
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
sounds like the issue is when point forming.
i'd try a little heavier core,or a different handle speed.

BT Sniper
01-14-2013, 09:35 PM
What are you using for lube?

Did you clean your brass after annealing?

what weight are you attempting to make?

Is tip folding over it's self? indicating not enough anneal or are you getting dents indicating too much lube?

What diamater is your ejection pin?

How are you getting them out of the die when they get stuck?

Is it cold in the room you are working in? These dies typically work better when warm to the touch.

You have gotten some good info. Hopfully some of it will help. Fill us in on the details so we can help you more.

Good shooting and swage on.

BT