PDA

View Full Version : The Outfitted 'Coon Hunter

Jim
01-14-2013, 04:16 PM
I've written a dissertation entitled "The Outfitted 'Coon Hunter (http://floydpics.wordpress.com/the-outfitted-coon-hunter/)". This is not a 'Ya' gotta do it like this' treatise, it's just my slant on how I do it. I hope you enjoy it.

**oneshot**
01-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Another fine writting. One thingy I would add to your list, a pocker/fishermans first aid kit with tweezers.

I only say this because I've read your other stories. haha

goofyoldfart
01-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Jim--- I enjoyed your dissertation on the tools of coon hunting. I hunted and cooked Coon and Woodchuck and I find that your list is pretty close to mine. I have used rifles but also pistol. A good 38spl w/ double base wad cutters lightly loaded to about 800 FPS does the trick quite well and does leave your hands free to fend off the problems of briars etc. Plus it keeps the eye sharp. read the whole thing and thoroughly enjoyed it. God Bless to you and yours.

flounderman
01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
I used to shoot somewhere around 100 coon a year and just used a 22 pistol. The centerfire pistols are too hard on the dogs ears

Jim
01-16-2013, 09:20 AM
After pushing through briar thickets and crawling through mountain laurels, climbing slopes littered with loose leaves and stones as steep as 30 degrees and then being able to hit a 'coon in the head at upwards of 75 feet with a pistol, my hat is off to a man that can do that. I dern sure can't. By the time I'm ready to take the shot, I'm so winded, it's all I can do to keep the reticles on target while braced on a sapling.

x101airborne
01-17-2013, 11:10 AM
A similar example.... Went fox hunting in Llano a couple years ago. The taxidermist doing the calling said "There is a civit cat!" We chased it around the mountain 5 times covering about 10 acres of cactus and granite boulders. We finally stop (read give up) and look back. 100 yards away there it is in a tree. One round from my 22 K Hornet did it in. A half grown coon worth absolutely nothing in the fur department. Good PT though.

LAH
01-22-2013, 07:24 PM
After pushing through briar thickets and crawling through mountain laurels, climbing slopes littered with loose leaves and stones as steep as 30 degrees and then being able to hit a 'coon in the head at upwards of 75 feet with a pistol, my hat is off to a man that can do that.

Sounds like where I'm from. HEE HEE

Shooter
01-22-2013, 07:52 PM
I used to shoot somewhere around 100 coon a year and just used a 22 pistol. The centerfire pistols are too hard on the dogs ears

I'm with you. Before my eyes went, I dumped many a coon with my S&W 34. Get someone behind you to light the sights, while someone else makes his eye shine.
I like a kerosine lantern for a walking light, Carhartt's, of course.