PDA

View Full Version : Ruger No1 Sight upgrade, detachable rings????

Four Fingers of Death
01-14-2013, 09:49 AM
I have a few No1s in sporting rifle configuration (Alex Henry forend, folding open sights), on ein 338WM and one in 416Rigby.

I am not real keen on the factory sights and when adjusting the sight on the 338 (using a correctly fitting gunsmith screwdriver and without excessive force), had one half to the screwhead just snap off, bugger I was just snugging it up, so it will probably hold, but it might be a bear to get out later. I turned the blade upside down to get the square notch that I prefer, but I would like a broader foresight.

I found this sight which fits to the rear scope mount;

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=5883&ST=Ruger%20Peep%20Sight

Has anyone else found a decent replacement sight?

I will be using the 416 with open sights and the 338 with a scope, but I would like to have the option of open or peep sights for Big Game rifle matches and cast boolit punkin' rollin.

Any ideas?

cptuap
01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
I have the NECG sight on my Ruger #1 in 45-70 and my son has one on his #1 in .405. Neither needed a change in front sight. We like them.

Shooter
01-14-2013, 11:46 AM
I have a couple. They are great to use alone, or, as a back-up in your kit in case of scope damage.

nanuk
01-14-2013, 10:52 PM
have you looked into the Skinner sights?

they seem to be better looking than the NECG.

I had an NECG on a Marlin, using the weaver base and it it FUGLY

Four Fingers of Death
01-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Had a look. The skinner sight is definetely a front runner for the 416Rigby and I think a NECG for the 338WM (this will wear a scope most of the time and the NECG could ride in my pocket (and do double duty on the 77s.

I have looked at the Skinners before, but I was looking for sights formy lever rifles and I shoot cowboy action, so I passed them over I think they will be just the shot on the No1!

They don't seem to make a sight for the 92 Winchester.

Thanks for the head up.