PDA

View Full Version : modified darr lube

Andrew Mason
01-13-2013, 11:23 PM
well.
i am starting to get into making my own lube, and i must say, it is fun.
i enjoy the mixing of components over the double boiler.

i decided to make a batch of modified darr lube since it is very easy and
the ingredients "parafin and vaseline" are simple off the shelf
products,

now, i have searched and searched, but i am unable to find an application for this lube.
rifle? magnum pistol? standard pistol? low velocity and low pressure?

i made this stuff and just dont know what to do with it.

thanks for the help.
andrew

fryboy
01-13-2013, 11:41 PM
i burned up a bunch in the 45 acp and 38 wadcutters , darr lube isnt a hi-demand application , mid to lower velocities is perhaps it's best use , i improved mine by adding some lanolin ( it added tack and flex ) and a wee bit o carnuba ,it can perhaps be used in a lil higher than mid level velocities but bore condition and sizing plays a much larger part then , but ....if you really dont know what to do with it mix it with some sawdust for fire starters and flux :P
yeah making lube can be fun ( that mad scientist aspect etc ) another easy one to make is saeco green , it's a lil mo'betta than darr's lube and doesnt smoke as much , beeswax and vaseline ( as opposed to paraffin ) is also decent

mac60
01-14-2013, 12:08 AM
I played around with it. Didn't stick to the boolit worth a hoot. Gave up on it. After reading fryboy's comment, I might try adding a little lanolin and have another go at it. What I made wasn't good for much.

DrCaveman
01-14-2013, 12:14 AM
I use it for 357 mag loads (lee 158 rnfp) and 30-30 plain-based unique plinker loads and 45-70 loads up to 1500 fps. I also added some lanolin. I haven't pushed any loads with it harder than that so can't compare its accuracy, but smoke and bore cleanliness seemed good.

Andrew Mason
01-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Okay thanks
Ill keep some for plinker rifle, and standard pistol

Dale53
01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Barry Darr's lube was designed for Schuetzen rifle use (plain base bullets at a max velocity of 1400-1500 fps). A better all around lube is Emmert's (50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola oil. I used that for target pistol and Schuetzen loads as well a Black Powder Cartridge Rifle. I settled on an improved version by replacing the Canola Oil with Anhydrous Lanolin. It is a superb black powder cartridge lube and a good pistol lube. The only downside is it's melting point is about 135 degrees. During the hot summer, trunk temperatures can get quite high. It was never a problem for me, but could be...

These days, I shoot only pistol and have been using Lars White Label Carnauba Red with excellent results in ALL of my handguns from target to magnum. Lars lube is very high quality and available for a very reasonable price. That's why I use it...

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Dale53

Andrew Mason
01-24-2013, 11:34 PM
could i cut this with 50/50 with bees wax to produce a lube suitable to 2.2k-2k fps rifle needs?

Dale53
01-25-2013, 02:27 AM
Andrew, my personal belief is that you should just charge this up to experience and use a better lube for general use.

The gold standard for general use is NRA 50/50 lube. One of the constituents is no longer available (Alox 2138F) but it can be replicated with ingredients purchased from Lars White label (for one) - it requires pure natural beeswax and Alox 350 plus the addition of microcrystaline wax in a specific proportion to make up 2138F.

I quit making my own lube when I discovered Lars' lubes and their extremely reasonable prices. I buy in quantity for best shipping prices per unit.

Randy (also on this forum) also sells constituents for lube at reasonable prices.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

leftiye
01-25-2013, 06:19 AM
You might want to try Flowmaster toilet bowl wax and bzwax. Would be a step up. Maybe a bit of 2 stroke oil too.

sthwestvictoria
01-26-2013, 04:42 PM
I've been using Emmetts with good results - Beeswax, vaseline, lanolin, orange crayon. By weight was 70% bee wax, 26% vaseline, 2%lanolin and 2% crayon for colour.
Has been used for pan-lubing then sizing with Lee dies. Has been used in 30-30, not sure of velocity but probably only up to 1400fps so far with AP70N (hodgdon universal) and AR2206H (hodgdon 4895).
Sticks well the lube grooves, has not melted in the shed with days getting to 40celcius.

Dale53
01-27-2013, 01:52 AM
The lube is NOT "Emmetts" but "Emmerts" and the original proportions are 50% Pure Natural Beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola oil. I use modified Emmerts for all of my black powder cartridge guns (both rifle and revolver) with excellent results.

However, for smokeless use I use and prefer Lars White Label Carnauba Red (if you have a heater for your lube/sizer or one of their other lubes if you do not have a heater).

FWIW
Dale53

NMLRA Guy
01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
I seem to remember that Barry Darr added a couple of tablespoons of RCBS or somebody's case lube to the mix listed. Could make a difference.