PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358665 mold fix help with Sprue Plate?

JesterGrin_1
01-13-2013, 11:16 PM
I can not get the Sprue Plate to sit flat enough so that when I cast it has wings around the base.

Is there someone that could make this thing right so it can be used? Or is it even worth it?

Thank You.

leadman
01-13-2013, 11:29 PM
If this has the old thin sprue plate on it buy one of the Lyman mold rebuild kits and install it, it has a much thicker plate that is great. Also leave the sprue plate screw a little loose so the plate swings easy. If you hold the mold up to the light so you can see the side of the mold and the sprue plate you will be able to see when the screw is too tight as the will be light between the two.
Another thing to do is take a 10-32 bottom tap and run it in the hole for the sprue plate lock screw. All of these I have checked were tapped with a taper tap and the allen screw would not screw in far enough to actually lock the sprue plate screw in position. You can check your by removing the sprue plate screw and try to run the allen screw in all the way. If it binds up just as it enters the hole for the SP screw it needs to be tapped out.

shotman4
01-14-2013, 03:44 AM
hone it I do it to ALL molds. Make sure its very fine FLAT stone

JesterGrin_1
01-14-2013, 03:56 AM
What about the Sprue Plate Stop? Can it be removed?