PDA

View Full Version : Looking for A Light 45 LC load

cloakndagger
01-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Ok, here is what I have.
Uberti SAA 45LC.
I am looking for a light, case filling load to push a lee TL452-200 swc but not beat up the gun and myself.
THIS IS MEANT AS PLINKING AMMO.
There are other posts with good hunting load combinations, but this is not one of those.
I would prefer a less dense powder that fills the case, not a sprinkling of a really fast powder.
Finaly, i must eliminate my go-to powder for this purpose, Trail Boss, which I have run out of and cant find localy (just placed my yrly powder order and my local vendor was out, cant justify the hazmat+shipping+price for just one powder)

I'll Make Mine
01-13-2013, 11:39 PM
If you want to fill the case and not have a fire-breathing top-end Ruger-only load, you're going to looking at either black powder or substitute, or something very slow (slower than H110, by at least several places on the speed table) -- and then you're likely to find you get poor accuracy because you'll get inconsistent ignition and incomplete burn.

With black, if you don't want full power you'd be looking at, say, 25 or 30 grains of powder (compared to the 35-37 full case load) topped with corn meal, grits, wheat germ, etc. to bring up the level to where the load compresses just a little. This might be the way to go until you can get some Trail Boss...

runfiverun
01-14-2013, 12:00 AM
h-4895 will do it.
around 750 fps in your revolver.

wrench man
01-14-2013, 12:30 AM
My plink'n ammo for the 45 colt, also in an Uberti 1873 SAA is a Laser Cast 200grn RNFP over 6.0grns of "TRAIL BOSS", I've been stocking up on it, got 6 1/2 bottles of it! and saw several #'s of it on the shelf today.
Only other powder I've ever loaded in the Colt is AA#5, 11.5grns of that don't look like SQUAT!?? in a 45 Colt case!?

Hammerhead
01-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Clays would be my second choice if you can't find Trail Boss.
It's pretty fluffy for a fast powder and has low position sensitivity.

NickSS
01-14-2013, 06:47 AM
I have used 5 gr of red dot and a 200 gr cast bullet in my Uberti revolvers for light plinking loads.

cloakndagger
01-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Not nescisarily filling the case to the bullet, but enough powder that it can be seen and overcharges are very obvious. some of the fast hrning recepes ive tried used so little that I couldnt tell the case had been charged without emptying it. I reeeealy hope I can find a big jug of trail boss in the near future, but the feeding frenzy is on right now so who knows...

BTW, has anyone experimented with any of the BP substitutes? The local shops have plenty variety of that, and from reading the labels the "blackhorn" powder seems a mite interesting.

joec
01-14-2013, 10:00 AM
I also would go with Trailboss and what I like in my Uberti 45 Colt SAA's though I've tried them with 200 gr I prefer the 250 gr. I find it a pretty accurate powder as well in my 45 Colt and 45-70 rifles. Others that work is Clays, Universal, Unique but still like the fact Trailboss fills the case pretty much.

I'll Make Mine
01-14-2013, 02:18 PM
BTW, has anyone experimented with any of the BP substitutes? The local shops have plenty variety of that, and from reading the labels the "blackhorn" powder seems a mite interesting.

I haven't tried any (had a muzzle loading pistol for a while around 1980, but that was before Pyrodex was common if it was around at all; I shot Elephant Brand FFFg in it), but from what I've read Pyrodex is worse for corrosion than black. I know nothing to speak of about Blackhorn, 777, 209, or other substitutes, other than that most of them are apparently harder to ignite than black (possibly leading to hang fires or extended lock time and related poor accuracy with standard primers -- magnum type might be preferred with the subs).

wrench man
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
I used one of the Pyrodex flavors in my cap & ball revolver YEARS! ago, IIRC it was nasty goooy sticky ****!, smoked just as bad or worse?, had to remove and clean the cylinder more often than with BP, when it was gone I said NEVER again!

cloakndagger
01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Yea pyrodex is a no-go

john hayslip
01-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Trail Boss- I used some 777 in a box of 32-40 shells when it first came out and had corrosion on the brass before I ever shot them, I think that if you use the substitutes you are going to have to treat the cases as though they were shot with black and put them immediately into water in order to have a chance to get them clean

scattershot
01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
If the object is to more fully fill the case, I recently came across a case called the .45 Cowboy, or some such. It's a shortened .45 Colt case, the same length as a .45 ACP. I made a couple by shortening a LC case (cutting at the cannelure on the case works well.)

These cut down cases have the added benefit of fitting in a .45ACP revolver cylinder, too. personally, I feel that it's a solution in search of a problem, but you would sure be able to see the powder level.

44MAG#1
01-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Any standard pressure 45 Colt load is a plinking load compared to the hotter 45 Colt loads.
If a Standard 250 gr bullet load at 800 fps or so beats up you or your gun something is amiss.
Just think about it for a few minutes.

cloakndagger
01-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Its not the gun I'm worried about, its the pinkie woosy girl hands that office work is giving me that I'm worried about ;)
On a more serious note, it realy is not the gun i'm focusing on, Ive developed a slight flinch reflex since starting shooting my 45acp and 357 mags that I need to work out, plus its just a hoot to me to not have much recoil. main focus was getting performance around my trail hoss recepe 850 fps give or take, while keeping the reloading saftey quality of ultra fluffy trail boss. Dont get me wrong though.. somewhere here is a box of leverrevolution I was gifted that works well on various four legged fare, this is a "playing around load"

wrench man
01-18-2013, 02:46 AM
Flinch with 45 ACP and 357 Mag?, shoot some 454 Casull and those will seem like cap guns![smilie=1:

cloakndagger
01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Lol na, thanks though. Yea once i got out of farming as a primary means of employment my shooting skills declined steadily, then came college, when ky cash declined even quicker, and my revolver more often than not went hungry. I'm basicly starting from scratch again.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I have purchased .45 Schofield brass from Starline and found it to be absolutely top quality. May I suggest you try some. My Schofield load is authentic to the frontier load, 230 gr boolit at 830 fps which is aquired by an appropriate dolap of Unique, but if I were looking at a light 200 gr boolit, this is where I would start. Shooting short brass does not hurt your cylinder, just clean it after use.

Groo
01-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Groo here
For flinch go 22lr, cheap and easy

FrankG
01-18-2013, 04:25 PM
I use 5.2 of titegroup with a 255 LEE FP . Real mild and accurate .