PDA

View Full Version : Rust...now what?!??!?

wtfooptimax200
01-13-2013, 08:05 PM
I did a complete disassembly of my win. 1300 'beater' shotgun today....I'll admit that this gun has not been cleaned for a while.. I found moisture and rust under under the choke tube. The tube was not stuck at all but I'm very concerned. How do I get the rust out and prevent it from reappearing? Thanks for any help.

Branden

Kskybroom
01-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Wipe rust off the chock tube. Lube the tube with Anti-Size. Repeat once in a while.
Anti-Size will stop tubes from sticking. Dont over thighten tube....

LUCKYDAWG13
01-13-2013, 09:53 PM
0000 steel-wool and rem oil will get the rust off dont rub hard

x101airborne
01-14-2013, 09:56 AM
I gotta watch my duck guns pretty close for this same thing. What works for me is I take it apart and really clean the choke tube and barrel thoroughly. Then I spray both down with brake cleaner to wash any rust or dirt out of the threads. Then I cut anti-sieze with a little extra oil to thin it out. Apply sparingly but cover the entire choke tube with it. Then insert and tighten as normal. This has done well for over 10 years in the coastal marsh and if it works there, it has to work most everywhere. And I am not exactly gentle on my duck guns.

P.K.
01-14-2013, 11:07 AM
0000 steel-wool and rem oil will get the rust off dont rub hard

I gotta watch my duck guns pretty close for this same thing. What works for me is I take it apart and really clean the choke tube and barrel thoroughly. Then I spray both down with brake cleaner to wash any rust or dirt out of the threads. Then I cut anti-sieze with a little extra oil to thin it out. Apply sparingly but cover the entire choke tube with it. Then insert and tighten as normal. This has done well for over 10 years in the coastal marsh and if it works there, it has to work most everywhere. And I am not exactly gentle on my duck guns.

These two posts should clean up any rust issues you have.

429421Cowboy
01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
What everybody already said, i get the same thing in my guns. I wipe a little Bore Butter in the threads of mine because i don't have anti seize and its thicker than regular oil and tends to stay in better.

P.K.
01-14-2013, 09:26 PM
What everybody already said, i get the same thing in my guns. I wipe a little Bore Butter in the threads of mine because i don't have anti seize and its thicker than regular oil and tends to stay in better.Prolly get you a visit from the EPA these days but a feeeeeew years ago some coastal duck hunters would swab their poly chokes or some of their high dollar screw in style with antifreeze to ward off the water and temps.

429421Cowboy
01-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Hmmm... I had never heard of that one before but as cold a temps we hunt in it just might come in handy someday!

mtgrs737
01-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Several companies make choke tube lube, most are just anti-seize compound that is available at auto parts stores. The same stuff works well on MEC resizing collets.