PDA

View Full Version : BHN test in Minneapolis help

Von Gruff
01-13-2013, 05:31 PM
I have a friend in Minneapolis who would like someone with a tester to test a couple of bullets for him please. On another forum we have been discussing the difference between an sst and an amax and having done a nice job of cutting both bullets in half to check out jacket differences we have come to the question of the alloy hardness accounting for the difference in on game results ------ so if anyone in the area with a testing kit would be able to test these samples for us it would be a great help. Contact details kept private via Pm. Thanks for any help with this.

btroj
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Jacket thickness isn't the entire story. Maybe the SST has had the jacket strategically weakened in the nose for controlled expansion yet the Amax hasn't.
The SST is designed for hunting, the Amax for making holes. One is made for a specific behavior on game, the other only for making holes in pape and being accurate.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find they have the same core metals. Jacket design goes way beyond thickness.

Von Gruff
01-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Yes we have looked at the jacket and would like to test the alloy. That is the purpose of the request so anyone near Blaine Mn that can do the test would be helpfull.

Catshooter
01-13-2013, 11:06 PM
I have both Lee & LBT testers and would be happy to help, I don't get to Minneaplolis very often though. I live about 150 miles south of you. We could do it by mail however. PM sent.

Cat

Von Gruff
01-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Thanks Cat, I have let him know of the offer and will take this to PM.