PDA

View Full Version : cci209 compared to Win209's

gamma50
01-13-2013, 05:26 PM
posted this at other places, want all info .I bought 2k cci209 and was told their the same as Winchester 209, now I've read and been told cci209 are weaker flame can cause hang fires, also Ive allways follow load data, but I can't find data for slugs or buckshot with these primers,
their for 1 1/8 target or field loads in 12 ga.or other ga.'s any help about these primers?I load lee 1 oz slug with 32 gr.s HS-6 AA-hs hull. claybuster copy of AA12f114 wad and Win 209. just want to switch to these cci's and be ok, I'll tell ya its becoming hard to find any primers or many powders! any help thanks.

6pt-sika
01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
I used WIN 209's for many many years when I shot trap and skeet competitively .

Later when I stopped and sold all my high uotput loaders I went to CCI 209's . I also used the CCI 209 in my muzzle loader inlines . Later for the ML's I went to CCI 209M's .

Now I load for the 10 gauge 2 7/8" , 12 , 16 , 20 and 410 . All my loads are light because a good percentage of the shotguns I load for are damascus . I however use WIN , CCI or Remington 209 primers just depends on what I have on hand . In the load books I use i shows all 3 varities with the same shot charges and same powder charges only difference is typically a little pressure .

I've not had any "hangfires" or ones that failed to go off .

LUBEDUDE
01-13-2013, 11:34 PM
In my shotshell reloading experience of 40 + yrs, I've experienced nothing of the sort with CCI/Win/Rem/Fed primers.

If someone is getting consistent hangfires with any of the above American primers, I would consider contaminated powder or wet basewads first.

P.K.
01-14-2013, 07:25 AM
For the OP, with that powder I don't really see an issue. Make sure your hulls are completely dry, HS-6 is a great shotgun powder and I've used it pretty regularly with my medium and large pistol loads. Neither of which come anywhere near a 209 where ability to light volume is a concern. The conjecture on "weaker flame" is interesting, how did this observation come to pass? "My load hang fired because my shell was full of water before I loaded it with a compressed load of Green Dot." Yup that'll cause a hang fire, you betcha. Depending on how your loading your shells ( My case it's a MEC) your 209's should be fine. To be on the safe side and to say "yup, tested myself," prime and load a couple with just the wad and test. Then if no issues do the same with a load in the cup. I'm pretty sure you'll find no problems at all.

gamma50
01-14-2013, 10:00 PM
thanks all. i loaded a few 1 oz. slugs with 32 gr.s hs-6 and cci 209 in a aa-hs hull one .125 nitro card under slug inside a cbWAA12f114 wad, and it went boom just as hard as Win 209's. all is safe. thanks again.

LUBEDUDE
01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Shooting differernt competition games over the years, I have always heard changing stories that this primer was hotter than this one or that. Rather than taking Billy Bobs word as gospel I ran my own very UNscientific test.

Taking some empty hulls and loading just primers and firing in a 20" 12 ga coach gun, you would be surprised how much of a flame comes out of the end of the barrel.

Now I know I was lazy by not fixing the gun in a vise and setting up graphs in the background and using slowspeed cameras; but heck this was just for myself.

I would fire some of the primers and think there was a difference as stated by Billy Bob, but not being 100%, I would do it again, and sure enough it was just planted in my mind.

There just really wasn't any significant difference by the "eyeball method".
Now, if you used a fancy smancy method, then maybe.

bbs383ci
01-21-2013, 09:03 AM
this is the best write i have seen on subbing primers and the effects it can have on loads by just changing primers. its an eye opener for sure.

http://www.mypitblind.com/main/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=32&id=326039&Itemid=47