PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting the 9mm Sigma

jdgabbard
01-13-2013, 04:11 PM
As some of you may know, I've been troubleshooting a Sigma recently. I had bought the Sigma back in late April or May of 2012. Price paid for something like $279, and it came with two magazines. Now because of some schooling I'm doing and the fact that I've been working full time I haven't been able to get to the range a tenth as much as I would like to. The only real problem has been finding a load that doesn't lead the barrel horribly. Accuracy is decent, and probably better than I am capable of. I'm able to keep most if not all shots on a 6" bull at 15-20 yards (My eyes are beginning to go bad :( ... ). The big issue has been finding a load that doesn't leave the barrel looking like a sewer pipe. The last session to the range revealed a few things to me. I was satisfied with the accuracy of the load. Secondly, I noticed that the leading started out close to the chamber, and slowly worked it's way to the end of the barrel, but didn't really accumulate once the leading started. That is, it didn't build up, so to speak. It just developed, then didn't get any worse in that spot. Now, leading in this area suggests that the boolits are undersided. This I can rebuttle with the barrel slugging at .3555ish. While the boolits measure .3560-.3565. Now this is taking into account the precision of my micrometer, which is +/- .0005. So it stands to reason, that the size of the boolits could be the culprit.

However... I also was shooting up a batch of boolits, .358242 120gr that were lubed with a slightly modified OLD NRA formula. The next batch that I'm going to be running through it will start off with 100 of the same, but lubed with Carnuba Red. Then 100 of the Old NRA lube to see if leading develops before or afterwards. My theory being, that the lube is just sub-standard. The reason I'm thinking this, is that the load is accurate. In my experience I've had poor accuracy with loads that lead the barrel as much as this does, so I'm thinking I've got the size down, the lube just isn't doing it's job. Which is weird, because I don't have a problem with that lube in the .38spl loads I've used it for.

runfiverun
01-13-2013, 04:27 PM
or it could be the step of the rifling peeling back a little lead untill you have a consistent condition.

jdgabbard
01-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Never really thought about that. However, I'd doubt it. The step is pretty mild.

SlowSmokeN
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Perhaps your boolit is being swagged down during the crimping stage. Have you pulled a loaded round and measured that? Just a thought.

nhrifle
01-13-2013, 05:18 PM
I had to deal with bad leading in a couple guns. I started lubing with Lyman's Super Moly and now I get no more leading. Also, I try to load my boolits atleast .002" over bore diameter. Have you thought about a gas check boolit?

Something I was told awhile ago but never tried was to give your barrel a good thorough cleaning. Then get it warm and apply T/C's Borw Butter to the bore.

Catshooter
01-13-2013, 10:33 PM
What alloy are you using? I struggled with my 9mm Glock until I started water dropping the wheel weight boolits.

I've also had barrels that needed .002 over bore to not lead.

Cat

jdgabbard
01-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Perhaps your boolit is being swagged down during the crimping stage. Have you pulled a loaded round and measured that? Just a thought.

Yeah, I've pulled a couple. They all seem to be staying about the same. One thing I do is to just straighten the brass our, not really a true crimp. The over sized boolit is enough to supply adequate tension on the case.

As looking at gaschecked designs, there aren't a lot of them out there for the 9mm. And I've got enough molds for the time being. I am using straight up WW alloy, I don't quench, it's not a matter of hardness. The alloy holds up to HEAVY loads in my 357mag. I'm pretty sure it's a size/lube issue. And I'd like to try going to .357, only problem is I don't have a sizer for it. Guess I should buy one someday.

SlowSmokeN
01-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Runfiverun got me in the right direction with size. What I did have going was 45-45-10 lube. If your hardness, and size is correct it would seem to be lube. I am using straight range lead air cooled, Recluse lube, and 4g Unique powder. Haven't had a problem sense the size was corrected.

Hope you get it straightened out once you do you will greatly enjoy your 9mm!

Catshooter
01-14-2013, 08:04 PM
I too used straight air cooled wheel weights for the .357, and they were pretty hot too. Zero leading.

Same formula in the 9mm however gives me excellent leading. Five rounds and it goes full length of the bore. That was with .357 & .358 boolits. As soon as I water-dropped the WW, all leading was gone. No other changes.

May not be the same for you, but it is that way with me.

Cat

fcvan
01-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Catshooter, I love it 'gives excellent leading' Well put. JD, try using some plain based checks on your boolits. I have a newer 9mm I'm still breaking in that didn't group so well. Plain based checks tightened groups up nicely. I still want to fire lap with some pearl drops tooth polish (20 rounds or so at a string) to expedite the break in. If you don't know anyone who makes PB checks I will stamp some out for you. Frank