PDA

View Full Version : gallery loads

jesse thewarner
01-13-2013, 04:08 PM
gallery loads
hello all, i am new to this and recently have got into reloading , want to make a quiet low power load for my .357mag , I am unsure of the proper term for them just know them as gallery loads light projectile with little powder, i have a small quanity of .38 s&w cases sized down and will drop in the chambers of my ruger security 6 thinking of getting a .360 ball mould and using pure lead balls over meebe 2.5-3 gr. of 2400 , what do you suggest? sorry if posting this here isnt the right place,

I'll Make Mine
01-13-2013, 04:15 PM
You're on the right track -- the classic gallery load for .38 Special and .357 Magnum is a .360 round ball (000 buckshot is cheaper than muzzle loader round balls), a couple grains of fast powder (Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot work well, better than 2400 in my opinion), and a primer and you're ready to go. No sizing needed with these low power loads; the book I read that had these years ago suggested a light stab crimp three places, into the ball rather than over it (keeps the ball from either backing out or pushing in), and a little lube of some kind is a pretty good idea even at gallery velocity.

Expect these loads to shoot high; even though there's little recoil, the gun will be moving for a lot longer with the bullet still in the barrel than would be the case with a full power load.

FWIW, I'd prefer to use full length cases to fit my chambers over a shorty like .38 S&W (even after sizing to fit); with fast powder, the extra case space doesn't cause a problem, and the shorter bullet jump (plus avoidance of jumping in the case-diameter part of the chamber, rather than directly into the throat) will probably help accuracy some. With a little practice, a light loaded round ball can be effective for rabbits and squirrels as well as cans and bottles...

NickSS
01-14-2013, 06:54 AM
I never tried round balls in a 357 but I have used 125 gr cast bullets and 2 gr of red dot for the same purpose. Very light recoil and fairly good accuracy at my 50 foot range in the back yard.

LtFrankDrebbin
01-14-2013, 08:44 AM
I did toy with .36 RB in 38 spec a while back, 3grains of Trail Boss worked quite well. Sized the ball to .358 seated just passed the center line and a light crimp. Gotta play with that again one day.

Larry Gibson
01-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Good plan except for the 2400 powder. That is a very poor choice as it is a slow burning powder for pistol cartridges. I suggest Bullsey, Red Dot or 700X at 1 - 2 gr. Also you might want to TL theRBs with a light coat of LLA to preven leading.

Larry Gisbon

BCRider
01-14-2013, 02:27 PM
With the primer and powder gases produced it's still not the sort of thing I would want to shoot in an unventilated area. A lot of the potential for raised lead levels comes from the gas produced by the primers in our ammo.

Otherwise the whole idea has a lot of merit for cheap practice. Especially if you can find a source for 000 buck which is nominally .36 inches diameter.

For sizing the buck I wonder about the idea of seating it in the case and then running it through a sizing die again but with the de-capping pin removed? That would avoid having to find a way to squeeze the round ball down to .358 and then indexing it on the mouth of the case.

GaryN
01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Those light loads are a lot of fun. Welcome to the forum!

jesse thewarner
01-16-2013, 01:01 AM
thank you all, for your input glad to be a member of a fine forum

Whiterabbit
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
you might find the roundball too short to shoot accurately. Not to worry, when you load those really light loads ( I like trailboss, personally) even with really heavy bullets it's still gallery-load light.

So if the roundballs dont work, dont worry. You can still make it work with modern bullets.

1Shirt
01-17-2013, 01:01 PM
RB's are fun to shoot in either 38S or 357 Mag Brass. Would stay away from 38S&W brass. Can load two RB's in 38S brass and 3 RBs. in 357 Brass if you are so inclined as well. Check out multi ball loads, think you would find interesting. I have had the best luck with Bullseye or Red Dot powders.
1Shirt!

Salmoneye
01-17-2013, 03:08 PM
I vote Red Dot...

I shoot .30-30 with .310" round balls with 2gr Red Dot...

Fun, accurate, and deadly on varmints in the garden to 60 yards (as far as I have shot so far)...

cloakndagger
01-17-2013, 04:57 PM
I had a few of the round ball loads, but then I discovered glooblits (bullets made of poured hot glue) here on CBF and ive never gone back :)

Hammerhead
01-18-2013, 06:26 PM
I use Trail Boss for round ball loads.
I lube them with liquid alox.
I also use unsized cases because there won't be enough pressure to seal a sized case.