PDA

View Full Version : Accurate handloads

Tatume
01-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi folks,

I reload for several revolvers in each of 41 Rem Mag, 44 Rem Mag, 45 Colt and 454 Casull chamberings. I'd like to ask your opinion on a couple of things.

For proper case tension, is one brand of sizing die better than other? Do some size the case too small and others not small enough?

Do you tailor fit your belling/expander plugs? How much over bullet diameter do you prefer? Is there a favored brand of belling die?

Bullet straightness, or concentricity is important. Do you have a favorite brand of seating die that produces straigher ammo?

Anything else?

Thanks, Tom

44man
01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Most size dies do the same, it is the expanders that vary. I use Hornady dies made for jacketed so I use a harder lead like WD, WW boolits. I can't tell you expander diameters, never measured but I can measure boolit seating pressure. That is directly related to boolit pull and tension.
Hornady dies have an inline seat die. Best bang for the buck.

Beagle333
01-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Do you have a favorite brand of seating die that produces straigther ammo?
+1 ....... Definitely Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension dies. The seating die has a sleeve that holds the boolit perfectly in line with the case while seating.:-D

Wayne Smith
01-13-2013, 06:34 PM
I prefer the Lyman M die, largely because I have both the large and small die bodies and only have to add the inner piece. I understand the RCBS equivalent is just as good, I just don't have them.

44man
01-21-2013, 04:59 PM
I prefer the Lyman M die, largely because I have both the large and small die bodies and only have to add the inner piece. I understand the RCBS equivalent is just as good, I just don't have them.
The "M" die can ruin case tension. So can a standard RCBS expander. I don't know about Lee or many other brands because I never bought anything that would not work after experimenting for years. I had special BR collar dies made for the .44 and they work great but are a real pain to use, doubling time to load. I found Hornady long ago and quit looking. They are not good with soft boolits. Why shoot soft from a .44 anyway?