PDA

View Full Version : Do I have this right?

x101airborne
01-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Hello all.
Do I have this right? There is a Lyman 311041DW AND?.. a 311041AV? Are there any other 311041s? And why, if I have this correct... Are there duplicate mold numbers with different suffixes and such radical design differences? I have been casting a little while but never really studied molds much till now. Kinda negates having said "The 311041 is great in (insert here)." WHICH one?

runfiverun
01-13-2013, 04:45 PM
cherry maker/production run.
you'll see av/aw/ev/es.
occasionally there are differences within the same mold number like the same 3333222 mold but with two or three different weights.
occasionally a nose will be somewhat changed like the 358477 it has at least 2 different nose shapes [i have seen pics of more]
but you'll still have the cherry/production letters fall into line on those because even though the mold spec has changed slightly they still order cherry's from the same A company.

x101airborne
01-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I can show not only nose variations, but weight variations as well. Check my math,,,, if you change the nose and the weight, isn't that a completely different boolit? I would think so. There has to be more to this.

runfiverun
01-15-2013, 12:39 AM
you'd think that.
but lyman don't think that.
you could still see two or three aw/es marked molds that are different,just because that's how their marking system is set-up.
if you look on the box what we use for a mold number and what they use as a part number is different too. [now that number might change when the mold changes]
same as lee,you give me a 90923 lee number and i have no clue what it is.

that's why you see custom mold makers making classic "correct" molds. [shrug]