PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shooting AR rifle in 7.62x39??

500MAG
01-13-2013, 03:13 PM
I have the M&P in 223/5.56 and was looking for something different. Due to the current state of things I went with a 7.62x39 lower. I would like to hear from those that are shooting this type AR to see how you like it.

felix
01-13-2013, 03:25 PM
I would prefer it over the 223 case in making subsonics. ... felix

zomby woof
01-13-2013, 10:29 PM
I have one. I don't shoot cast out of it, yet. Magazines are a bit of a problem. Kicks a bit more than 223.

Marvin S
01-15-2013, 08:10 PM
I have the original Colt light weight sporter that came out in the early 90s. I have only shot the norinco steel core out of it. The after market hi cap mags are AK lowers tig welded to AR tops to make them work right. I have not fired it in 15 years.

xacex
01-15-2013, 08:30 PM
I would go 300 blackout in the AR platform so you dont need speacial mags or bolts. Just switch out the barrel.

gunner69
01-16-2013, 08:10 PM
I too have the Colt upper in 7.62x39. I like the caliber but the problem is getting magazines, over 5 rounds, to not jam. I think it has to do with the straight ar receiver and the requirement that that caliber have a radical curve to feed well. The rifle sits in my gun safe and cries to be shoot.

rockrat
01-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Mags are the issue. Maybe 6.5 grendel might work, since it is based off the same case pretty well. I mainly use 10 rounders, but only load 7 cause any more than that, and it won't work. Have a few 30's ,but can only load 20 in them, and only one out of 3 really works well. Other than that, I like shooting it quite a bit.

SOFMatchstaff
01-21-2013, 12:47 AM
I have a Colt original that runs flawlessly with the C Products mags and I have some Pro Mags yet to be tested. I also built up a couple on special lowers that use AK mags that run fine. The bolt carriers need to be milled to function with the AK mags, and the uppers require milling. The best upper so far is the DPMS Heavy match uppers. The Russian ammo is junk compared to the old Chicom stuff, no comparison in accuracy. My heavy bullet loads are the best, easy MOA at 100yds.

Find the 7.62 C Products or ProMag magazines before they disappear, and the feed problems will cease.

The 300 AAC/Whisper/ Blackout is a good way to go, barrel and upper rec and your in business. lots to recommend it.

2wheelDuke
01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
I too have the Colt upper in 7.62x39. I like the caliber but the problem is getting magazines, over 5 rounds, to not jam. I think it has to do with the straight ar receiver and the requirement that that caliber have a radical curve to feed well. The rifle sits in my gun safe and cries to be shoot.

That upper would be perfect for the Rock River Arms lower that takes AK mags.

SOFMatchstaff
01-26-2013, 02:18 PM
That upper would be perfect for the Rock River Arms lower that takes AK mags.

I'm not sure that would be true, not having had a hands on with the RR lar47, I can only reference my own experience with the two dedicated 7.62 lowers that I built.
The width of the AK mags at the top required that the Colt dimension uppers be milled to accept them. That leaves a Very thin amount of metal(.015 thick) on the walls of the upper, a weakness that is not acceptable.

The bolt carrier has to be milled to clear the lip height to facilitate proper feeding. It is not a push pin build, it required a lot of machining and fitting to get them up to speed. I have to assume that Rock River has addressed all these areas in a production unit, and if so, the parts for a std AR build wouldnt be readily inter- changeble. At least in the areas I have noted.

In so far as the LAR 47 is not available yet, guess we'll have to wait until they hit the market to see if I'm, right....

x101airborne
01-29-2013, 03:18 PM
I use a custom built (by me) 7.62x39 AR for hog hunting. Everyone who has come to hunt with me has used it. I love it. I have absolutely no issues with it and it is my favorite for hog hunting. Powerful, light, compact, large magazine, just wonderful for the purpose. I dont use my AR-15 / 5.56's any more at all. I used a RR 5.56 lower with an ESS Solutions barrel and Spikes Tactical BCG to finish my build. I am using 30 round AR Stoner mags for the 7.62x39. If you have any questions or want some pics, just PM me.

SOFMatchstaff
01-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Another satisfied user, those mags make all the difference. I just got the shipping notification for the last dozen I ordered a month ago, should do me for quite awhile. You should try some of the Berrys 123gr .310 bullet for plinkin, they work very well at almost full velocity.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2013, 03:20 PM
ar15s arent military rifles. Shouldnt this be moved to the regular rifle section ;)

xacex
02-01-2013, 02:42 AM
ar15s arent military rifles. Shouldnt this be moved to the regular rifle section ;)Amen brother! Thats right, and they have never been! An AR15 is NOT the same as an M16. They may look similar, but the holes make the differences. Kinda like the tranny on your local street corner. Ask Eddy Murphy.:-|

gwozdz
02-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I have had very good results with feeding my AR out of ASC 10 rd mags. Accuracy was pretty decent with Russian steel cased 7.62x39 ammo.

Screwbolts
02-03-2013, 11:30 AM
ar15s arent military rifles. Shouldnt this be moved to the regular rifle section ;)

I agree with Lloyd , the Armalite Rifle with the designation of 15 or 10 in all calibers is purely a Sporting Rifle and it is not doing the cause any good to be discussing any aspect of Armalite Rifle 10 or 15 in the military section!!!!!

I am guilty of this in the past and will correct my ways!