PDA

View Full Version : RCBS ProMelt\PID questions\HELP!

cheese1566
01-13-2013, 11:19 AM
I just acquired an RCBS ProMelt and was wanting to use my PID control box on it. Wondering if the thermostat on the ProMelt might give me issues??

The ProMelt was turned all the way up on the dial past 850. I made a probe mount to keep the tip about 1" off the bottom and near to the spout. The pot was half full of lead and ran for quite a while and nothing was poured from it. The set point was at 700 and at times the temp would go over 800 (before tuning).

I noticed my PID was swinging very high and low, like a digital RPM gauge at times - temp readings that varied 150-200 degrees within 10 seconds. Seemed to do it if touched the top of the probe and "jiggled" it. Wouldn't do it if I stirred the lead.

I got the temp to settle around 700 so I went through the tuning process a couple times. It seemed to stabilize and the readout swings seemed to have disappeared,, even with the jiggle test.

My only thing now is that it doesn't get to 700...stays around 680-690 on the reading.

My PID worked just fine on my Lee 20 pot. I never noticed these rapid swings on the readout and it held the temp pretty much right on. I did change the K thermocouple from a high temp to another high temp with a 6"SST probe from Frozone. I double checked from him about polarity. No other wiring or settings were changed. PID testing (probe under armpit for body temp and in ice water shows consistent temps of 98 and 32 degrees.)

I have some familiarization with PIDs as I had this one on my Lee pot for over two years, one on my Star, and one I installed in my Rancillio Silva Espresso machine.

I will investigate further and may put the old probe on it.

Tazman1602
01-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Dude if you've got an RCBS Pro-Melt you don't NEED a PID controller, they work pretty good on their own and keep temps consistent. At least mine does, one of the best things I"ve bought for casting. My old Lee BP pot is now relegated to smelting WW's..............

Art

ph4570
01-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Your path mirrors mine but with different results. I used a Lee 20# bottom pour for years. A couple of years ago I added a PID and it worked fine. Last year I got a Pro Melt and moved the PID to it. I did not re-tune or change any settings. The only undesired behavior is that the temp will go 10-15 degrees above the set point when the pot first comes to temp. About 5 minutes later the temp will come down to the set point and stay well controlled throughout the casting session. I mounted my probe on the opposite side from the valve about 3/4" in from the pot wall with the probe tip about 2" off the bottom. I crank the Pro Melt temp control up all the way.

Maybe your probe is faulty or the connection to the PID is poor. I do not have any other suggestions but something is not right with the PID/probe/connections.

Frozone
01-13-2013, 06:08 PM
I concur - bad probe.

cheese1566 PM me with an address.

cheese1566
01-13-2013, 07:34 PM
I swapped back to my original probe and reconstructed a new mount that clamps the unit so i can easily remove it for fluxing and clean up. I am putting the old probe on an indicator for further testing.

Seems to be working great now.

Plus, NO DRIPS!!! and a decent mold guide! The ProMelt is sweet!

ph4570
01-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Good to hear you sorted it out. Yes the pro melt is a nice tool. My only regret is that I waited so long to upgrade from the Lee.

seagiant
01-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Dude if you've got an RCBS Pro-Melt you don't NEED a PID controller, they work pretty good on their own and keep temps consistent. At least mine does, one of the best things I"ve bought for casting. My old Lee BP pot is now relegated to smelting WW's..............

Art

Hi,
He said it! Like lipstick on a pig!

cheese1566
01-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Mine was an older one that that came from a buddy at RCBS. Looks like they put in a new thermost and pot in it. Pretty rebuilt it with the exception of the outer case and hardware. They put in an extra set of collars so I put those on the vertical section of the mold guide; one on top and another on the bottom. I set those up as a quick adjustment preset stops for my Lee 6 bangers and smaller Lyman singles. Plus, I added the idea from others and installed a short section of pipe between the bottom collars for the mold to roll on.

cheese1566
01-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Frozone was very kind to send me a new temp probe to replace the one I bought a few months ago.
Wow! Now that is above and beyond!!!

Thanks!!!

DennisMcharold
01-23-2013, 01:02 AM
I concur - bad probe.

cheese1566 PM me with an address.

+1 Bad Probe