PDA

View Full Version : Better way to send funds than Paypal?

bucklind2
01-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have tried sending money via Bluebird. You can get a Bluebird card at Walmart for 5.00 and it has no monthly fees or minimum balance. My son and I each have a card and we have sent funds back and forth with absolutely no problems. We both downloaded the andriod app for Bluebird and the funds are sent instantly and they are then immediately available for use. The card is serviced by American Express and is accepted every where it is taken. I do not own any interest in American Express or Walmart, but I keep seeing where people are not happy about Paypal's interference in legal transactions and the 3% fee they charge. Just another way to do business and vote your displeasure with your wallet, not just complaining and then continuing to give a company that doesn't deserve your money more of it. Just something else to consider.

waksupi
01-13-2013, 01:12 AM
Things like that need a pretty long track record with other people's money before I would consider them. Ol' Ben Cannon went somewhere after Gunpal folded.

Bad Water Bill
01-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Well AMEX has a much better track record than Mr Cannon.

I have purchased and used AMEX travelers checks for more years and in more places than I want to remember.

Now someplace like Wal mart? New kid on the block.[smilie=1:

Disclosure laws say, yes I have worked with AMEX and my family has funds invested with them. Still how long has AMEX been in the money moving business?

PatMarlin
01-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Ben went to Vegas, Ric.

I guess normally, when you run into that much money you go to disneyland.

I still can't believe he got away with it.

dragon813gt
01-13-2013, 08:37 AM
My bank is linked to Popmoney now. The buyer pays a $.95 fee per transaction while the seller has no fees. I know some banks charge a small fee of around a dollar as well. I haven't used it yet since I don't know anyone that has an account. It sets up like PayPal and you barely have to do anything if your bank is linked. It's a built in feature to the PNC Virtual Wallet app.

I know some buyers will complain they have to pay the fee. But this is another option and banks have been backing it for awhile now.

10x
01-13-2013, 10:25 AM
In Canada we have EMT (electronic money transfer) where we can email money from bank to bank. The charges vary depending on your banking plan but it costs about $1.50 or so per transaction. Once an EMT is sent and cashed it is a done deal. If a deal goes bad or the receiver does not send the goods then there is no way to track down who the guy is, where they live or anything. Get the vendors address and phone number and confirm it before you send money.

bucklind2
01-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I was just thinking that a one time fee of just 5.00 is better than any deal where there is a pay pre use charge. As far as a trust issue, lets just say that when Walmart goes under we all are going to have much bigger problems to worry about. I see no reason to pay a company (PayPal) anything since they do not share your values. You can also link the bluebird account to your checking or savings account all with no transfer fees. When you set up your account it is tied to an email address and then all I need to send anyone money is for them to send me their email address linked to their account. In less than 30 seconds the funds are sent and instantly available for use.

Ed Barrett
01-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Sounds like the only problem is that both ends of the transaction have to have these cards. Until they get into common use, that will be a problem.

Bad Water Bill
01-13-2013, 06:16 PM
That should not be a big problem. Everyone with an AMEX card will get info and everyone on Wal Marts mailing list + radio and media adds can have it up to full speed in less than a year.

When SEARS started the DISCOVER CARD it did not take even that long to be running.

I just wonder how it will work for folks without ANY bank account.

bucklind2
01-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Bill, you don't even need a bank account since you can go to Walmart and load money on it just like a gift card. It just makes it easier if it is linked to a bank account. When you go get the card you pay 5.00 and load any dollar amount you want on it. Then go online and set up everything and they send you a card with your name printed on the card issued by AMEX. Very simple operation. I am sure you all have seen the adds on tv for bluebird. Just wanted everyone to know that it works flawlessly.

Bad Water Bill
01-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Another thing to discuss with my AMEX planner in a week.