PDA

View Full Version : Bullet (J-Word) info needed

GRUMPA
01-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Some time ago I found a box of 30cal 180gr Combined Technology Partition Gold bullets #52230 and wrote on a piece of paper to never get rid of these they don't make them anymore. Why?? I just can't remember, I think it had something to do with the style of the tip or something, not sure.

So I would like to ask for some of the more talented here to see if what I have written down on this piece of paper is correct or not. They are molly coated and I know I got them back in the early to mid 90's and had them sitting in the back of the shelf since then.

I can't help wonder, they stopped making this version of them for some reason, I tried to do a search in 3 search engines and even with the product code I came up empty. If it helps with you more knowledgeable folks I can always take a picture of the box and bullets to give a visual.

Thanks

fouronesix
01-13-2013, 12:50 AM
IIRC they were called combined technology because they were a design combining the "Black Talon" of Winchester and the Partition of Nosler. The most different feature of the design (again IIRC) was that the lead core in rear portion of the partition was encapsulated by a steel jacket. The black coating I guess was some sort of friction reducing moly coating or something- mostly cosmetic and of no great consequence IMO.

Why they discontinued them? Maybe the "Black Talon" design had at that time a negative public image... but I would guess they didn't sell well enough to make it worth it to continue.

fryboy
01-13-2013, 01:26 AM
with the addition of a heel disc closure they became the fail safes ( i have a coupla boxes of 30 cal. 165's i'll list in the s&s one of these days if i dont trade'em off first )

GRUMPA
01-13-2013, 11:39 AM
IIRC it had to do with the tip more than anything, I think the ones I have are the type they ran first and then they changed the tip to a ballistic tip type, not 100% on this it's just something my failing memory keeps coming back with.

But in any case I figure a picture is worth a thousand words so I'll put it up and see if someone has even more info than I can come up with.

oneokie
01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Can't tell from your pic, but is there any exposed lead on the tips of the bullets? If there is, I guess that they are Nosler Partitions with moly coating.

Four Fingers of Death
01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
I think that the coating may have been teflon. This was found to be unsuitable in firearms and was atomised when fired out of a gun and presented a significant health risk. I know that was the case with some of their handgun bullets and I am not sure about the rifle bullets.

429421Cowboy
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
When i shot the CT bullets they were simply Nosler BT's with moly coating as i remember, and the only reason i shot them was because that's what my uncle helped me to load on his press. I continue to see the CT BT bullets on the shelves.
I never saw CT Partition bullets for sale but i suspect the alread high cost of Partitions plus the moly would have raised the cost enough to slow sales down and they went back to selling regular ole Partitions.

429421Cowboy
01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Quick e search shows that the Partition Gold bullets have the partition placed further forward for a larger partition for greater weight retention and penetration, as well as a steel cup below the partition (opposite of a Fail-Safe which has the steel cap at the base of the bullet) to help protect the partition and core within also the ojive was redesigned to raise the BC, and to promote expansion at lower velocities at longer range, they were avalable with or without the black moly coating.

Sounds like a very complicated and expensive bullet!

fouronesix
01-14-2013, 03:11 PM
OK since I have some time to kill here's what I found- hah! my memory wasn't as bad as I thought.
Straight from a Winchester Ammo catalog.

Quote from catalog...."featuring a proven partition design with the Winchester @ Moly-coating and patented steel insert technology..."

I assume the 'patented steel insert technology' refers to when Winchester produced the Black Talon bullet.

Also, looking in the Nosler Reloading Guide I see the same bullet described and pictured the same way. There was also a non-coated version available.

BTW and not to be confused there was also a CT Failsafe that used a "Barnes type" front end coupled with a steel encased lead core partition like rear end.

Dthunter
01-24-2013, 04:42 PM
The "Failsafe concept" was a good one, but I experienced some problems with them.

On several animals (white tail,mule deer, Elk, and moose) i experienced significant penetration without much radial damage along the wound channel. It was like they were not fully expanding like the hollow point should have.

The straw "that broke the camels Back", so to speak was when I shot a bull moose at 330 yards. He was facing straight at me, calm as can be. I had a benchrest steady position, so I threaded the bullet just into the top of the brisket and straight through his chest.
The bull just stood there like he wasnt hurt. I just hit him with a 140 grain .284" failsafe from a 7mm Ultra Mag. My loads were going 3400fps with the H870 charge.

After about 30 seconds he turned Broadside and i put
Another Failsafe through his lungs and heart. He was done. After doing the post mortem, the first bullet penetrated the "ENTIRE BULL"! The bullet exited out low on the bulls hind quarters. The bullet left very very little radial damage! My guess is that the hollow point just didnt open and
The Bullet penetrated like a FMJ. That was the last time I used the FEEL SAFES! 

Another characteristic of the failsafe was that pressures were much higher than with a conventional bullet of the same weight. I also got in the nieghbourhood of 100-150 fps less as well. Not a good combination at all!

Hope this info helps.