PDA

View Full Version : It's official ... Dillon doesn't make them

Jack Stanley
01-12-2013, 08:30 PM
I E-mailed Dillon asking about a powder through expander that I could use for thirty caliber on the 550 press/powder measure . They politely said it ain't happening boy use an "M" die .

Well for what it's worth I have , don't like it , and think using the expander while dispensing powder would be better . Has anyone made a powder through expander for use in the measures Dillon uses ?

Does the idea not work at all or it just doesn't sell to most loaders ?

Thanks , Jack

Doc Highwall
01-12-2013, 10:00 PM
The trouble with doing it for a 30 caliber is the hole would have to be small creating a large potential for powder bridging. The hole could not be much larger then .200" leaving a .054" wall thickness.

VHoward
01-12-2013, 10:04 PM
They make one for the .223. So why not one for a .30 caliber?

wrench man
01-12-2013, 10:21 PM
The one for the 223 is simply a powder funnel, not an expander die like for the straight wall cases, the #C funnel for the 30 Carbine is an expander, it could be shortened up for longer cases.

Jack Stanley
01-12-2013, 10:30 PM
My thoughts for powder on this project is most likely Unique followed closely by 2400 . Charges of Unique for my favorite loads are very small indeed . Never had a problen getting the stuff out of the Uniflow but this may be a different game .

Jack

gunoil
01-12-2013, 11:21 PM
maybe call rick at mrbulletfeeder.biz I bought a dillon powderthru/exp die from him, $15.

Zim
01-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Two options: use the 30 carbine or the 32 s&w long. Both are longer than a rifle funnel so back out the die. Works fine.

Gar
01-13-2013, 12:42 PM
I E-mailed Dillon asking about a powder through expander that I could use for thirty caliber on the 550 press/powder measure . They politely said it ain't happening boy use an "M" die .

Wow, that surprises me. Several years ago I was at Dillon's talking to the counter people about using cast bullets in 30 caliber rifle cartridges, they are the ones that suggested using the 30 Carbine funnel ("C" if memory serves) for flaring the cases.

<edit> Cr*p, I meant to say cast boolits, sorry

Jack Stanley
01-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Not a problem Gar , I call them cast bullets all the time .

So if I order the thirty carbine kit in the little blue box , it'll have the shell plate brass pins and the expander funnel for cast right ? It comes ready to load cast in a carbine right ??

If there is enough threads on the die to set it high enough for loading aught six gallery loads , then I could also start loading carbine ammo too . Anybody actually tried using this particular powder through expander for longer cases ?

Jack

GabbyM
01-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Don't have to buy the whole kit. They sell funnels separate.

wrench man
01-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Yes you can get only the funnel, I'm only familiar with the concept of the "M" dies?, but this is the "C" funnel, it measures .299" on the tip and the step is .3039", sounds a little small for the 30 cal boolits?, the "S" funnel for the 32 S&W measures .3052" and .3101" respectively, might be a better fit?
Here's the "C" funnel, the "S" looks identical.
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx190/ramblerinternational/guns/funnel002.jpg

Jack Stanley
01-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Gabby , I'm sure they can sell the stuff separately , I was just thinking out loud I could feed the carbine too . Never a bad thing to make a tool do double duty huh?

Wrench man you're right I think the measurement for the carbine are a bit light . My Lyman and RCBS expanders are in the .309" range . Even still the funnel for the 32 S&W might work if the length is right .

Jack

Gar
01-13-2013, 06:32 PM
I load 30 Carbine, 7.62x39mm, 7.62x45mm and 30-06 with the C funnel, I've got a S funnel but haven't tried it for those cartidges. I'm using H335, H110 and WC852 with no problems. Haven't tried IMR powders through this funnel, but I would guess you would have a problem with the sticks bridging in the funnel.

garandsrus
01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Jack,

It seems like i tried to use the carbine funnel to drop powder and flair a 30-06 and ran out of thread in the powder die.

I have thougt about turning a shortened version of the carbine funnel on the lathe a couple times.

John

MtGun44
01-14-2013, 01:29 AM
I'd sweat bridging with any of the stick or flake powders. Ball powders
are probably OK.

Bill

Gar
01-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Jack,

It seems like i tried to use the carbine funnel to drop powder and flair a 30-06 and ran out of thread in the powder die.

I have thougt about turning a shortened version of the carbine funnel on the lathe a couple times.

John

John, you're correct, I checked last night and I did turn the funnel down for the 30-06, looks like I shortened it about 5/8 of an inch. Did it years ago and forgot about it.
Also I found it works better to use the older style powder drop with the spring when using this funnel. With the linkage alone the funnel tends to hang up.

Jack Stanley
01-14-2013, 11:44 AM
I got to rummaging around my old Dillon parts last night . It seems I have a conversion for the 32-20 and I set the funnel into an empty platin and die . I ran out of threads with it so I think I need to find someone who has made and used one .

Just for those concerned with powder use . I filled the Uniflow with Unique and the measure was set at over eleven grains from the last time I used it . Since that charge is more than I normally use I left it alone . I held the 32-20 funnel under the spout so the powder had to go through it . When the charge of Unique was dumped through it it went through without any problem . When the charges were weighed they came out at just what the measure was set for . I'm thinking with the minimal charges I use for the gallery load bridging is not going to be an issue . Should I decide to use 2400 in the measure , I'm thinking it will work without problems as well . I did mention that I intend to only use this setup for gallery loads right ? Loading ammo by the bucketfull is not much fun on a single stage not matter how much one likes the press design . If Dillon would cooperate , I could load my gallery loads almost as quick as my revolver ammo .

Someone else can try the stick powders and heavy charges , I'm not going down that road . I have a Uniflo for the few heavy loads I make so I don't even want to use the Dillon for that use .

Gar , how long is the funnel now in over all length and is it short enough to do the job well ?

Thanks , Jack

Gar
01-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Jack, I'll need to measure the AOL tomorrow, it too darn cold out in the shop this evening :-D

Jack Stanley
01-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks , when you get to it will be fine . I still am a ways away from making it work the way I want I do believe .

Jack

Gar
01-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Jack, I measured the AOL of the funnel I cut down and it is 1.5 inches. It will handle 30-30, 7.62x45 and 30-06 cases. The 7.62x39 can use the full length funnel. forgot to mention you will need to cut a new funnel in the top after you shorten it. I have a lathe so I did it on that but you could probably get by with a countersink drill bit to do it.

Jack Stanley
01-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks Gar , I'll see if I can make something work .

Jack