PDA

View Full Version : Finally! picking up my security six tomorrow

trickyasafox
07-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi all!

A while back I put a thread up about looking for a security six, well i finally found one in good shape and affordable enough for me to purchase.

it's a 1974 manufacture, 150 prefix so it takes the old style grips. 2-3/4 in barrel with adjustable sites and a nice dark blue. If this gun has been shot a dozen times it has been shot a thousand. The line that forms where the cylinder tracks is so faint, i can't imagine it has even seen much dry firing. Bore was nice, lock up was tight, and trigger was a bit heavy, but smooth.

i would have preferred a 4in barrel, but this one just felt so nice when i picked it up i couldn't resist it! hopefully i'll have some pics up in the next couple days.

for 250 i got:

75 pieces of 357 mag brass (65 of which is loaded, im debating whether or not to pull it and use it for components)
original booklet
MTM ammo box
IWB pancake style holster

Aside from the gripframe being slightly different and not taking aftermarket grips readily, is there anything else i should know about the 150 prefix security six?

dubber123
07-09-2007, 07:30 PM
As far as I know, all Security Sixes were good, dependable guns, and quite durable. Another guy at our bi-monthly pistol shoots had a 4" one he just got for 250$. He used it at the shoot and did well with it. On a side note, I'd pull that reloaded stuff, unless it came from someone you personally knew and trusted. Good buy! Enjoy it.

trickyasafox
07-09-2007, 08:48 PM
yea dubber123 i agree. 65 pieces isn't much to pull for the piece of mind i'll gain. Out comes the kinetic hammer tonight :)

trickyasafox
07-09-2007, 09:23 PM
as long as we are talking about this, what mold do you all suggest of these three:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=873370&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=172810&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=704691&t=11082005

i feel like the 158gr is the standard for 38spl/357. . .what do you guys think

9.3X62AL
07-10-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't tumble lube, but the 158 grain boolit is the go-to weight for both 38 Special and 357 Magnum. Either of the two conventionally-lubed boolits would be a winner in my book.

dubber123
07-10-2007, 02:48 AM
I shot a ton of the Lee GC swc's, (your first one on the list), at pretty peppy speeds out of a 4" Smith, and got truly excellent accuracy. While I haven't used it, many speak highly of the 158 RF, and it requires no gas check like the first. I would choose by how fast you want to shoot them. I would expect you could get around 1,100 or so fps. in your gun with the plain base without too much difficulty, and you wouldn't have to buy checks.

Tristan
07-10-2007, 05:40 AM
I've got a bunch of the 158-RF's from a forum member, and I'm really taking a shine on that boolit.

So far accuracy has been good, but I've just began putting them downrange.

It feeds slick as heck in a leveraction, if that may ever be a consideration for you, now or in the future...

And, of course, you can never really go wrong with a Keith style boolit... ;-)

Bret4207
07-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Ruger SS's were fine guns. Moderate weight, great sights and lockwork, excellent materials and most were great shooters. The only bad thing was the transfer bar cliking everytime you moved. I always thought a very light spring could have gotten rid of the issue.

Larry Gibson
07-10-2007, 11:12 AM
I've a 6" Security Six that I really like. They are well made and hell for stout, I shoot the older real .357 mag loads in mine. Lyman's 358156 cast fairly soft at 1420 fps is a really fine load. A 125 FP/XTP at 1690 fps ain't to shabby either. Lee's 150 TL bullet over 4 gr Bullseye in magnum cases makes a nice pleasant .38 special level load to shoot.

Bret4207

I just went and shook the bejesus out of mine and transfer bar didn't click. Never heard of that "problem" before, what's the story?

Larry Gibson

felix
07-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Larry, the transfer bar does click in mine too. In fact, several of them. I personally don't care because I shoot them seldom. ... felix

Bret4207
07-10-2007, 11:22 AM
I've used 8 or 10 of them and they all clicked. Dunno why yours doesn't. Call it luck and be happy!

Crash_Corrigan
07-10-2007, 11:29 AM
I have the Lee 148 gr DEWC TL 6 banger mold. It puts out excellent boolits that are dead accurate and cheap to make. However you might want to load them into 357 Mag cases and prevent that build up of crap in the gap between where the 38 spcl case ends and the ridge built into the chamber to accomodate the 357 length cases. That stuff is hard to clean out and if you don't keep it clean then when you want to shoot 357 they will be hard to chamber and very difficult to eject. I also have the 158 gr TL SWC boolit and that also is an excellent boolit. I like the DEWC more because it cuts such neat little holes in the paper.

beemer
07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I have 4 in various configurations and have owned a half dozen others that I should have kept.My favorite is a 4 inch that resides in my nightstand.It's the one that I answer the door with at 3 in the morning.The gun has been slicked up and lookes like crap, no blue left , just a nasty brown. It's been hauled around on a motorcycle, carried in the rain, slid with me down the mountian and droped in the creek but it has never been put up wet and never failed in the 28 years I have owned it. I guess you could say that I like'm.

The best feature is how they break down for cleaning. I like the size of the Security-Six,it might not be as strong as some of the newer guns but it carries well and handles anything I need to put through it. My short barreled one is a Service-Six in stainless that has been made into a round butt. I have always wanted the 2 3/4 with adjustable sights. Hope you enjoy that one.

beemer

Larry Gibson
07-11-2007, 12:40 AM
I've used 8 or 10 of them and they all clicked. Dunno why yours doesn't. Call it luck and be happy!

I'm probably just to damn deaf anymore to hear it anyways..........

Larry Gibson

EMC45
07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
The two top picks are great. I cast the GC one and the RFN one. I like the RFN better for the fact of no GCs. They both shoot accurate for me. I haven't tried to hot rod them too bad. The RFN is a dandy out of the .38 Sp.

trickyasafox
07-12-2007, 03:12 PM
excellent! thanks for all the help!

lastmanout
07-15-2007, 08:02 AM
My first centerfire was a Security Six. 6" 357 blue finish. Strong gun. Only weak spot that I heard of was the size of the barrel forcing cone. 125 grain jacketed hollow points where becoming the prefered defense load in police circles through the 1970's and they increased pressure at the forcing cone - cracking it after many rounds. Ruger dropped the SS- could not stand to produce a 'faulty' revolver, replacing with the heavier GP100. Smith K frames where remodeled into L frames. It was done for reliablity, but the handy size used by Skeeter Skelton and Bill Jordan was lost. I really like the double action revolvers. They have a style and craftsmanship from another time that is lacking in my plastic Glock.

Steve Collins
07-15-2007, 12:25 PM
I had a 2 3/4" blue SS for a long time, then (stupidly) I sold it, and have regretted it ever since!:groner: They are hell for stout, if I can get my hands on a stainless 2 3/4", I'd be ecstatic![smilie=w:

I used to load it will ONLY full power cast and jacketed, and never had a problem so enjoy it.

Arbyrod
07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Lyman 358429 with 5 grains of Unique is an excellant target load. I shoot about 1000 a month out of a 6" Stainless Security Six and it does a great job for me.
Rod