PDA

View Full Version : am I slipping?

nekshot
01-12-2013, 06:41 PM
The other day stopped at a gun shop just to pass an hour and I told myself NO you will not buy only look and be social. So on the counter lays a early blackhawk very well used and missing the rear site for a very decent price. My lightening mind reminds me of a security six I once had that I took the sight off and put on a scope only to have it stolen but 37 years latter I still have the site. I told the owner this and he said if you have that site and cash I will knock 50 more off the price. My mind is really moving now and I am thinking if I buy this gun, put on the site and clean it up I am only out half the price of what I paid for the security six 37 yrs ago with the increase in value of this gun. The next thing I remember I am filling out a paper and standing at the cash register. Is this what they call getting old? The gun really is good looking now!

runfiverun
01-12-2013, 07:48 PM
nope, this is how it works.
probably why i have a few rear and front sights for leverguns.

MtGun44
01-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Sounds like a bargain.

Bill

rintinglen
01-13-2013, 07:33 AM
You have to be careful when you go into those places. They'll bamboozle ya into buying something you want, then you have to tell Mama.

Combat Diver
01-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Used to buy dies and bayonets that I had no use for. Later to only buy a rifle to go with it.

CD

Hickory
01-13-2013, 09:26 AM
It's called being a "Smart Shopper."
Enjoy your new gun.

nekshot
01-13-2013, 09:46 AM
yes sir, I see it as an incredible bargain and payback for that stolen gun in a weird sort of way. Now if the other half sees it from my point of view we are good to go!

mold maker
01-13-2013, 10:28 AM
It's kinda like buying a set of bargain dies in a size you don't need, YET. Eventually you will find a gun to go with it. I'm still looking for several.

Wolfer
01-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Looks to me like preparation met opportunity.

slim1836
01-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Sounds like you bought your stolen gun back 37 years later.

Slim

cbrick
01-13-2013, 11:19 AM
I refuse to go into gun shops for that reason but the mechanical malfunction of my car leaves me little choice. When driving down the road at the site of a "Guns" sign the steering wheel jerks out of my hands and then the engine stalls. I could sit there all day and the car won't start, can't move the steering wheel, nothing, just stuck. Strange though that the car seems fine if I only go inside for awhile.

Rick

Silver Jack Hammer
01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
cbrick's mechanical issues with the vehicle is how I describe what happened to me in Montana when my family was on the way to Custer’s battlefield. The car was driving fine then it lurched and jerked. I had to shut the engine off. What do you know I was sitting in front of the Sharps Rifle Co. Then Lucinda was measuring my arms and taking my order. The van has been running fine ever since.

I had to see the dr. the other day. Without warning my heart started pounding and my palms got all sweaty. The dr. said there was nothing wrong with me. It happened when I was holding a Colt .357 I had no intention of buying but it was so cheap and so purdy I had to. There’s proof buying that Colt .357 I was holding when that happened to me was a validated by a dr. good decision. Had it re-barreled to a .45.

Advice on what to tell your wife: Don't explain logically why it's a good gun, tell her you would "feel better" if you bought it. That seems to make sense to wifes.

fatboy
01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
sounds like the classic signs of a prudent shopper, or an addiction! I keep telling my self i am a prudent shopper and i can quit anytime i want to, i just dont want to quit yet.[smilie=1:

nekshot
01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
maybe we need some type of therapy clinlc, make it into a reality show or something like that.

Sax.45
01-13-2013, 03:32 PM
As far as the wives are concerned, I Find it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.

RobS
01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
A good deal is a good deal!!!

I'll Make Mine
01-13-2013, 04:03 PM
It's funny -- I don't find any problem at all resisting all the beautiful and functional firearms at any gun shop, pawn shop, etc. All I have to to is recall how much better it is to sleep indoors than outdoors (especially in January). No, not because I'd upset SWMBO, but because I'd be spending my rent money...

44man
01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
It's funny -- I don't find any problem at all resisting all the beautiful and functional firearms at any gun shop, pawn shop, etc. All I have to to is recall how much better it is to sleep indoors than outdoors (especially in January). No, not because I'd upset SWMBO, but because I'd be spending my rent money...
Get on SS! [smilie=1:
Nekshot just might have found one of the very best there is. I envy him and would have spent the rent money---oops, tax money, my house is paid for.

Wayne Smith
01-13-2013, 06:31 PM
This sounds like normal functioning to me! I don't have to bamboozle my wife. As long as the money makes sense to her she doesn't care! That's what I get for marrying a logical genius. Works for me, I need the financial discipline.

I'll Make Mine
01-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Get on SS! [smilie=1:

Here's the scary bit -- if I could qualify for 100% disability right now (according to my last Social Security statement) I'd only take a pay cut of about $200/mo over my recently reduced working hours. I have to say I hope Social Security is still around and solvent a few years further along; it'd be nice to collect my retirement and still work part time -- I'd work fewer hours (probably no more than 20 a week) and still have significantly more income than presently. Why, I might be able to afford to shoot and hunt, and still have time to do so!

bob208
01-14-2013, 08:18 AM
this one is easy. look i saved money. just like when they go to a sale. also i don't have those little parts laying around for the kids, dog or what ever to get into. just mite work.

i do not go into gun shopes. i hear voices that keep saying buy me buy me. have not been in one in over a year. it was really bad when a friend had his ffl and we would go to the navy arms wearhouse in w.va.

44man
01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
I have spent more money on my little wonderful dog in the last years then I ever spent on guns.
It is love, not money!
Hold your dog close my friends and forget the metal objects.

Green Frog
01-14-2013, 08:43 PM
With my luck, I'd have bought the gun then gotten home and not been able to find the @#$%& sight! Does anybody else have this problem?? :roll:

Froggie

nekshot
01-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Yup, and a few other problems to go with it!

Texantothecore
01-16-2013, 12:48 PM
I wandered into a reloading shop a few weeks ago and there was, on the wall, a lonesome Pedersoli rolling block in .45-70. I could barely tear myself away from that rifle. It is now on my must have list.

Mumblypeg
01-16-2013, 01:02 PM
This is simple, either you have the money or you don't. Money in your wallet looses value with inflation. Firearms at least keep their value with inflation, sometimes more. And you get to use and enjoy them while you have them. I seldom just play with my money...