PDA

View Full Version : 26.5 MM Shotgun

kysunfish
01-12-2013, 10:53 AM
I would be interested in loading some sabot type slugs for this bore. Is it possible to produce brass that would use 209 primers. I have one reloadable aluminum case that uses a primed 9mm but have never fired it with shot or single projectile. This is not a pot metal flare pistol it is a CZ that was designed to shoot rocket grenades and tear gas. It also has a chrome bore that I think might be suitable for the black stuff. Thanks for reading and any help.

I'll Make Mine
01-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Of course it's possible to produce 26.5 mm brass with a 209 size primer pocket. Whether it's a good idea is another question entirely -- even for a gun made to fire "rocket grenades" (unlikely they're actually that) and tear gas canisters. Tear gas is fired at low velocity over a low pressure load, and whatever the "rocket grenades" actually are, they're surely ejected at low velocity as well. Trying to fire an ounce or more of shot or a slug at, say, 1500 ft/s (reduced for short barrel) is an entirely different ball game.

It might be safe to make a sleeve to fire 12 ga. in that tube -- it wouldn't be for the plastic and cast zinc flare guns, and might not be for that one either.

Beyond that, it might well be a crime to manufacture actual projectile ammunition for that flare gun; it could constitute "intent" and have you in court with the words "destructive device" or "short barrel shotgun" just to have a shell that could be loaded with powder, wad, and shot. Those come into this country and are sold as "non-firearm" devices solely because there is no shotshell or other projectile ammunition that fits them; if there were, they'd be in the same category as a 40 mm grenade launcher (i.e. you'd need at least a tax stamp, possibly an FFL to buy one, if your state permits them at all).

hubel458
01-13-2013, 03:05 AM
It would be 4bore size, exactly same bore as others made before, and if built
heavy enough to take the pressure of shot or slug loads,
it would need 18" barrel to be setup without a registration and
tax stamp. I don't think it is heavy enough for 4bore use,
as the barrels are too thin on flare guns I've seen.Ed

kysunfish
01-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Mine has 19 inch barrel and I would not be against registering it as a DD. If it would work? As it is single shot it will never be a street sweeper or combat shotgun by any means. BRNO built these very heavy. I was hoping that someone here had been there and done that and could offer some experienced information. Thanks to all for reading

hubel458
01-13-2013, 02:32 PM
I checked them for a possible 4bore use.
The frame and pivot of the BRNO is not heavy enough to take the
thrust from a case that big shooting slugs or shot or sabot slugs.
Maybe shoot plastic/rubber balls. The average shot or slug load in
a 4bore is 4oz and in 4bore case with that shot payload the pressure
is over 12-14,000 psi not 2-4000 like in aluminum flare case.And 4bore slugs the pressure is a third higher.Ed