PDA

View Full Version : And the Moral of the Story is...

o6Patient
01-12-2013, 10:36 AM
!I did it again, I bought another powder measure..my Wifyello asked me a couple
of complicated questions that has taken some throat clearing and a bit of stuttering.

First Question: How many powder measures do you have? (Yeah right out of the blue...
Second Question: How many powder measures do you need? ( put a guy right on the spot...

I have always been intrigued with a bonanza / forster bench rest powder measure ..so I got a pretty
good deal on a new one and bought it after bidding on several over the years and realizing
finally nobody was going to let me get one really cheap, so as I said, I proceeded in a moment of
weakness to purchase it. (reloading is not always a rational science.

I assured my wife that out of the eight (or so) I have: a couple were parts machines to support
the real classics I have that one couldn't replace now.. interrupting she finished by asking "because
they are obsolete?" ..no no because they became too pricy to manufacture to meet their market niche.
(..felt that one wiz by my head close) I went on to explain that having different ones for different tasks
made very good sense and that if I had some of the more modern electronic set ups I would have to
pay a lot of money for it. (.. nose is already mildly prominent so the slight growth wasn't all that noticeable.

The role reversal has been quite a strain, I'm usually the critical thinker and she flies more off the cuff usually.

So If I can extract a moral here .. let me think..!oh yes: There is no set limit to the number of powder
measures (presses ..etc.) one may possibly find a use for...even if they were to out number the different
calibers you load for...yeah I think that's it ..so profound that it should be copyrighted for sure!
(..or something.[smilie=w:

Updates to follow.(..anybody got a spare bed room ..just in case?[smilie=1:

Doc Highwall
01-12-2013, 12:19 PM
I have a bunch and most of them are tagged and set for a certain powder and charge weight. All I have to do is grab the one I want and screw it into the powder measure stand, throw a couple of charges to settle the powder and confirm the weight and load like hell.

o6Patient
01-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks Doc, That is exactly what I do for the most part, kinda like having dedicated tubes
for the B&Ms. I find different measures throw certain powders better than others...and if all else
fails I'll weigh them like I did when I was a preemie.

I always liked the motto that: "if you think you might someday find a reason to use a tool it fully
justifies the cost of said tool".:)
(actually I'm an old Yankee}:kidding::kidding:

jmorris
01-12-2013, 01:24 PM
First Question: How many powder measures do you have? (Yeah right out of the blue...
Second Question: How many powder measures do you need? ( put a guy right on the spot...

Answer, "How many pairs of shoes do you need?"

They leave you alone after that...

azrednek
01-12-2013, 02:31 PM

If I tried that I'd mediately hear "not enough" and with in a few days she buy a few more.

jmorris
01-12-2013, 05:59 PM
"Ah, but love is a two way street, honey."

Fwiw buy black guns, they don't seem to be able to tell one from another...and another...

6bg6ga
01-12-2013, 06:13 PM

Been on the carpet more than once with the "how many of these do you need" questions. I responded with well dear you seem to have over 100 pairs of shoes in your closet. That ended the questions for a while until round two started and I asked how many diamond rings and gold chains do you own?

Funny thing but we don't talk about reloading equipment and guns in general any more.

shooter93
01-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Lets face it....what a guy really needs is a Camdex or similar set up for every caliber he ever wants to load......and ofcourse the money to feed them.

Jack Stanley
01-12-2013, 08:50 PM
I'd like to be in Doc Highwalls corner and do it like him but....... Since I only run with two measures a green one I started with years ago and one that fits on my blue press . I'm thinking maybe I "need" one of the Redding measures that is easy to reset to where you want it . I still don't have as many reloading tools as my beloved has sweaters and shoes .

Jack

gunoil
01-12-2013, 11:48 PM
iam happy for ya.