PDA

View Full Version : Another eBay mold fiasco...

imashooter2
01-12-2013, 10:07 AM
We all know about those freaking insane eBay mold prices.

So I felt pretty foolish as I clicked the "Buy It Now" button on a two cavity 313445 for $39.99!

Now I know that isn't finding one at a yard sale for ten bucks, but it is pretty reasonable for a set of lightly used out of production blocks complete with with handles, box and the original 1954 receipt. 8-)

The eBay search that netted this one has been active for about 2 years. There are still deals on eBay. You just have to wait for the right mold. :drinks:

Ben
01-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Patience is a true virtue.

Ben

Jack Stanley
01-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Now just think how silly you'll feel after you've made your first thousand good bullets with it and consider it just paid for itself . I hope it's the most accurate mold you have for the caliber now .

Jack

Buckshot
01-13-2013, 04:33 AM
http://www.fototime.com/24A5A743C0D1616/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/D23FBE058AC1029/standard.jpg

.............Not a boolit mould, or even really firearm related but one of the best buys I ever made on E-Bone was 6 of these 16mm (.6299") Nachi (Japan) solid carbide, 4 flute center cutting coated endmills, brand new in the sealed tubes (5 sealed). I'd just clicked on my search for carbide endmills and started perusing the list. On the 2nd page with 5 minutes to go, there they were with ZERO bids 8-) EGADS! I figured it was one of those deals that had some outrageous shipping fees or some other 'catch', but nope. I know it's senseless to post a bid on something until the last few seconds of an auction so I just knew there were 50 people just sitting there watching their stop watches :-)

I guess it's was just one of those timing things like getting to the checkout at the grocery store before every other person decides it's time to check out, or like traveling between ratpacks on the freeway. Like everything aligns just right? In any event I got all 6 for $12.50 and whatever the USPS SFRB was at the time. I searched the web and the tool catalogs I had and figured for the $18 I'd paid I got between $5 - 600.00 worth of endmills. Sure they're metric, but for sure useable. I ordered up a 16mm R8 collet without batting an eye! Sometimes you're simply in the right place at the right time.

..............Buckshot

imashooter2
01-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Now that is a score! Ebay certainly isn't the place to go if you want instant gratification, but I've got no issue low balling endlessly until a commodity comes home at the price I'm willing to pay.

Beagle333
01-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Very true, imashooter2. I must have put opening bids on fifty different Renegade barrels before one I liked and bid on fairly (but on the light side of fairly), actually rode all the way through the closing block. :coffeecom

Trey45
01-13-2013, 10:55 AM
I sold some molds for a friend not too long ago on fleabay. I thought we did pretty good until the bill came in from ebay for their fee's. Not such a good deal afterall.

Willbird
01-13-2013, 11:43 AM
I sold some molds for a friend not too long ago on fleabay. I thought we did pretty good until the bill came in from ebay for their fee's. Not such a good deal afterall. Yea they have changed it so much that today they get a far larger portion of the total sale price once they bend you over for ebay fees and paypal fees too. It is SO much easier to just place an ad here and put a fair price with fair shipping on it and at least give it a go.

Blammer
01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
I recently got a .625 dia RB mould for $35 shipped on ebay! I'd been searching for that for at least 2 yrs! Thanks to a forum member for point it out to me too!

RobS
01-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Ebay I may purchase from but not sell.......they simply keep wanting more of the pie than I am willing to give up.

imashooter2
01-13-2013, 02:10 PM
You have to be careful what you sell there, and they are far less attractive for larger low value items now that they are charging fees on shipping. Molds I'll generally sell here for a fair price which is a good eBay price after fees. For all the "look at this" posts showing some ridiculous price, most molds don't net more than you can get here.

On the other hand, there are things you can sell there that will find a much larger market and makes them worth their fees. I sold a pair of ticket stubs from the 1964 Beatles concert at the Philly Convention Center. You could knock on every door in town and not find anyone willing to spend a buck on something like that. Perhaps you could spend money and time and travel to a convention to sell them. But eBay netted me well over $300 after their fees from the comfort of my home.

montana_charlie
01-13-2013, 02:45 PM
You have to be careful what you sell there, and they are far less attractive for larger low value items now that they are charging fees on shipping.
I did not know they had started putting fees on the shipping charge, but I totally understand why they did.
It was rampant to see a 'valuable item' selling for a nickle ... with a forty-five dollar shipping charge.

I figured a seller who would use that scam was too dishonest for me to deal with.

CM

Bent Ramrod
01-13-2013, 02:56 PM
$20 a cavity is not unreasonable for a mould you really want. You did pretty good, I'd say, and full marks to the seller for not being loony over the value of his "vintage" offering.

Norbrat
01-13-2013, 11:05 PM
I know it's senseless to post a bid on something until the last few seconds of an auction so I just knew there were 50 people just sitting there watching their stop watches :-)

..............Buckshot

I use bidding scheduler http://www.biddingscheduler.com but I usually don't care if I win something or not. I don't bother to keep an eye on items; I just put in what I'm willing to pay and forget about it. It's also handy for overseas auctions as I am usually not online when the auctions end.

dnotarianni
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
I sold some molds for a friend not too long ago on fleabay. I thought we did pretty good until the bill came in from ebay for their fee's. Not such a good deal afterall.

If I'm selling something on ebay I expect to have it cost me 10% between ebay and paypl fees

Dave

Baryngyl
01-19-2013, 04:08 AM
Yea they have changed it so much that today they get a far larger portion of the total sale price once they bend you over for ebay fees and paypal fees too. It is SO much easier to just place an ad here and put a fair price with fair shipping on it and at least give it a go.

I just figured it out the other day, they started putting fees on the shipping charge on top of it, and with paypal fees it came out to 13 or 14 % total.

I wish I had the means to start a auction site, I would charge a flat $0.25 fee for items under $25.00 selling price and $0.50 for anything selling for more than $25.00.

Michael Grace

Edit to add: And I would not limit sales of guns or gun items at all except for illegal to own stuff.

nanuk
01-19-2013, 05:05 AM
as a shift worker who often works nights over the holidays, I'd say some of the best deals I get are the $0.01 opening bids on items from commercial sellers who have multiples of items listed all ending about 5min apart.

after a bit, it seems bidders figure out that they will eventually get theirs and let your bid stand.

Shipping? best to know up front!

I enquired about shipping on a violin, and was quoted $30.00
I then "Won" the bid at $5.00.
all of a sudden my shipping quote was changed, as there was an error, and it was now $150.00.

no queries were answered.
So I mailed a cheque for $5.00 meeting my end of the deal, and told the seller to stick the violin in a shady spot.

I left a carefully worded "Extremely" negative feedback, as well I filed a complaint with Ebay, and then printed off everything and mailed it to a Police department address I found via google in the sellers area, suggesting a complaint of International Mail Fraud.

I felt better....
never did hear back.

rustypot
01-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Bought a nice lyman 45 lube sizer with 8 dies and 9 top punches for 111.03 with shipping with buy it now.Pays to look.:-D