PDA

View Full Version : Good revolver lube?

ndh87
01-12-2013, 01:55 AM
I have 158 grn molds, both tumble lube groove and solid lube styles. Im making 38 & 357 boolits to run out of a 4 inch 686. The material I have on hand is beeswax, jpw, lla, ATF, Vaseline, olive oil and candle wax.

Does anyone have a good lube recipe using these ingredients?
I'm open for either tumble or pan lubes.

leadman
01-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Look at the sticky about 5 lines up on this page.

btroj
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
I would make some 45-45-10 lube and call it good.

mdi
01-12-2013, 02:17 PM
You could make some 50-50 (alox-jpw, mix, don't cook) and call it good...

SlowSmokeN
01-12-2013, 11:47 PM
I use the 45/45/10 in my gp100 with 38sp and 357. Works great. Got to love Recluse.

RobS
01-13-2013, 12:09 PM
You have the main ingredient with beeswax and if you are willing to go out on the limb and pick up some lithium grease you'll have a hard to beat lube refered to as lithibee lube. I use Lucas White lithium grease as the base oils are good however just about any plain lithium grease will work fine. Should you go this route stay away from the EP (extreme pressure) high temp greases as they are a PITA to mix and will often times purge the barrel as the lube becomes runnier in warm weather or with long strings causing fliers.

I mix mine one melted cup of beeswax (in a glass measuring beaker) to 5 level measuring table spoons of grease. You can also substitute one of those table spoons with STP if you want. I measure out the grease in a pot before I start melting the beeswax down in the glass beaker. After the beeswax is melted down I pour it into the pot of grease and then continue to stir and fold the beeswax as it cools. After the mixed lube is cooled I come back a second time and cook it again on low to medium heat but don't let the lube become water thin, just enough heat to melt it down and keep a honey like consistency. This lube is not a hard lube, about like the consistency of 50/50 NRA lube. Adjust grease for softness/hardness etc.

cajun shooter
01-22-2013, 09:51 AM
If you want to KISS your lube making then you may just add some of Bullshops Bullplate lube to a pound of beeswax. It is called Speed Green and works on any smokeless powder load.
Or use White label BAC or Carnauba Red.

bmanis
01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
All of my cast loads are lubed with Ben's Red. That would require you to add a few ingredients though.

Bmanis

pdawg_shooter
01-22-2013, 01:47 PM
+1 on the BAC. Enough said.

Junior1942
01-22-2013, 04:11 PM
I'd try plain ol' LLA before I mixed anything.

Boolseye
01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
CWWVA lube;
4 oz. paraffin
4 oz petroleum jelly
2 oz. Lee Liquid Alox
2 heaping tablespoons Johnsons Paste Wax [carnuba wax]
Heat components until all melted, then pan or dip lube. May require a heater for the Lyman or RCBS lubrisizers.

So THIS is the template I use for my lube. However, I will substitute crisco for vaseline, add crayons for color and use beeswax in addition to paraffin. I pan lube with it, and the cake does not come out of the pan, which I don't mind. I'm pretty loosey-goosey with measuring, but it works great on all my pistol and rifle cast boolits (mostly pistol/revolver). My pan lube technique involves pulling the bullets out with small, dedicated pliers when the cake is still fairly warm, but plenty firm. It perfectly lubes the bullets and leaves an almost invisible mark where the pliers bite on the nose, utterly harmless. The bullets make a satisfying "pop" when they emerge, and the hole is ready for the next batch. Have fun–contact me if you'd like any more specifics (my method's a little unorthodox)