PDA

View Full Version : Made a new Husky extractor.

JeffinNZ
01-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Team.

After breaking my extractor I was wondering how I would replace it. Today I got to thinking about some of the helpful feedback from you guys so I set to and made one myself. Took about 2 hours of careful grinding etc but works PERFECTLY.

Here is the new extractor above the original one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN3449.jpg

On the bolt in the action:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN3453.jpg

It is now a spring arrangement and lies flat on the bolt. I used a bar of tool steel from my stock for lathe cutting tools.

bruce drake
01-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Jeff,

If after a short while your new extractor (looks good by the way) starts to lose its spring or ability to grip the cartridge rims, you might want to look into heat-treating the metal. I had to do that to the extractor I built for my Largo Carbine. Here is a short treatise on heat-treating to help with the thought processes down there in NZ. http://tidewaterblacksmiths.net/2.html

Bruce

nhrifle
01-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Very nice work. I've had to do similar things with obscure firing pins and such before, and it's always a joy when it works when you are done.

Buckshot
01-12-2013, 02:30 AM
.............Looks to be a very nice bit of work Jeff.

...........Buckshot

JeffinNZ
01-12-2013, 02:40 AM
Thanks. I am thrilled and relieved at the same time. The beauty of these rifles is that when you lay a round in the action and slide the bolt forward the rim of the case automatically centers in the bolt face and slips under the extractor claw. As such my extractor does not need to 'spring' so to speak as it would if the round chambered and the claw had to snap over the rim.

Jeff H
01-12-2013, 06:27 PM
....my extractor does not need to 'spring' so to speak.........

Very nice work. It's great to have rifles for which you can actually MAKE parts, not to mention the ability to do it. In my case the "ability" is more a matter of determination - keeping at it until I get it right. I don't think I'd have been able to accomplish it in two hours myself.

It might be worth considering case-hardening it at least, just for some wear-resistance and smooth interface. Use it a while and let it "wear in" or at least show spots that may need a last bit of polishing first.

Mk42gunner
01-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Looks good Jeff.

What are the groups like with your rifle?

Robert

JeffinNZ
01-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Looks good Jeff.

What are the groups like with your rifle?

Robert

Dang near cloverleaf groups at 50m with the right load and operator.

Mk42gunner
01-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Well that gives me a pretty good goal to work towards with my .25-20.

Robert

mdevlin53
01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
I have my extractor project going and it may be about 25% at the moment. In other news it was 53 degrees F today nd ost of the snow is gone. it the weather holds i might be able to soot my mdel 35 this weekend.
Michael