PDA

View Full Version : dcided I can't

white eagle
01-11-2013, 11:29 PM
use a scope on my pistola
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/kempobb/supremehunter2.jpg,
so I ordered a Ultra Dot 30 mm
I have one on my new to me 45 colt rifle and find it much easier and faster to use
so I will be putting my scope +1 in the swap soon
I like the newer models of Ultra Dot's like the UD 6 and Match Dot 2 as well so maybe switch one of these out but for now will leave as is

44MAG#1
01-12-2013, 08:47 AM
I would be interested in why you can't use a scope.
An informed answer as I am curious.

44man
01-12-2013, 08:49 AM
The only thing I worry about is stout recoil on some of the models. The 30mm standard will stand up to anything. Some of the others have poor mount systems, even from the high dollar ones like Trijicon, etc. They were not made for heavy recoil.
Some that have an adjustable dot can change POI as you change the size.
I can't afford to take chances trying something different. I just keep buying the 30mm but a friend bought the 25mm and it works fine.
It is surprising how the prices have increased too.
The 4 minute dot has worked very well for me and I believe it is actually smaller. It sure looks great on the side of a deer!
I never leave the dot on but check as the day lightens to see what setting I need, then just roll to that if I see a deer.

44man
01-12-2013, 09:05 AM
I would be interested in why you can't use a scope.
An informed answer as I am curious.
Maybe I can help. I tried them for hunting and in the mornings and evenings they are so dark I could not see the cross hairs or the deer. The exit pupil scatters the light before it reaches my eye, scope is too far out there.
One power is best but hard to find. Even 2X off hand is crazy with the wobble I see. It makes a guy want to pull the trigger as it crosses the target. I need a rest and full daylight.
Some variables are so heavy they can be destroyed from recoil, I ruined the tube on a big Burris with a .44. Tasco has a very hard tube and holds but it is still too dark. My Loopy is tough but still the original black hole in the mornings. By the time I can see anything, deer are bedded.
I can hit a water bottle off hand at 100 yards with a red dot but will never hit it with a scope unless I use a rest. My hunting is almost all off hand. My longest shot last season was 120 yards with the .500 JRH.
If you just shoot target during the day from a rest, the scope is still great but in the field is where you see the failures.

white eagle
01-12-2013, 10:05 AM
me takes to long to get everything line up
then the shake's and minor movement is annoying

44MAG#1
01-12-2013, 06:15 PM
You know that is all in your mind right?
If you are use to using a handgun with a scope you will get on something quickly unless you are using an 8 or 10 power close up.
Also you are letting seeing your movements fool and play with your mind.
You DO NOT move anymore with a scope than a dot sight or iron sights. It looks like you do and it is causing you to do improper technique in getting the shot off.
Think about it.

Mal Paso
01-12-2013, 11:47 PM
First 6 shots today, offhand at 25 yards, grouped about 3" with all inside the 4" bull. BLTsandwedge was in the next lane and said "You can go home now". In changing light conditions today even his 40 year old eyes were loosing that Black front sight against a Black target. Our shooting area is covered making sights quite dark. With Iron Sights the light that falls on them is constantly changing the tone, contrast and even the visual shape. The Red Dot eliminates that. Sight acquisition is so positive many times the gun will go off just as I bring it on target and those have been some of my best shots. Also that polarizing lens will let you shoot into the sun for shots you couldn't make otherwise.
I followed 44man's advice with the 30mm 4moa Ultra Dot. Very Happy but did Luke Skywalker ever forget to put fresh batteries in his Lightsaber? My carry gun is Iron Sights and I will practice that Art too. Different styles of shooting just seem to help each other.

44man
01-13-2013, 10:05 AM
44mag is correct, it fools with your mind when you see the movement and with my mind it is a sure thing! :drinks:
The worst thing is when you see the cross hairs go so far off target you hold the trigger pull instead of adding pressure and it just tires me so I wobble more, I am 75 after all and a gun gets heavy fast. Now I don't have the problem with a rifle.
Open sights or a red dot lets me keep adding pressure and there is no reason to fight a gun when they are so easy to use. I love open sights but now they fell off the gun when the light gets low. The solution is the red dot. The problem hunting with a handgun scope is still light transmission for me.
I have shot many running deer in the thick with red dots, shooting deer is easier for me then shooting a bottle or can.
Now I shot this at 100 yards on my steel plate at 100 yards, off hand, using the Ultra Dot on my .44. My last three shots in the box. I have started a season with this gun with only 5 rounds, killed 3 deer and had 2 shots left, last shot was 97 yards. My old SBH with about 70,000 rounds through it. Do that with a scope? NOT ME! I admit my failings.