PDA

View Full Version : Yes sorry Another Copper Thread... Need some comments

Plaxen
01-11-2013, 08:25 PM
I am lazy and pictures speak louder then words

So i added a ton of the blue crystals cause it didn't seem to stay white (7 different times) i was assuming you shouldnt just dump a **** load of the crystals in at one time... I wasn't sure how white it was supposed to be let me know if anything in the pictures seem off. I bought an arbor press yesterday so i am going to set it up tomorrow and do some hardness testing to see if i actually did anything to the WW.

This batch made 4 ingots perfectly with the RCBS mold.

Plaxen
01-11-2013, 08:27 PM

farmerjim
01-11-2013, 08:34 PM
I am following this and all the other copper threads. As soon as I get some spare time I would like to try this myself.

badgeredd
01-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Since popper originated this method, I imagine he'll be along to comment. I'd suspect he'd be THE one to comment in a positive way. One question though. What was the beginning alloy and did you add anything to the WW for the copper to exchange places with? Inquiring minds need to know....

Edd

Plaxen
01-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Nope i threw all the zinc that i sorted away but the lead did turn grey so i am assuming there was some zinc and sn within the WW

sdcitizen
01-11-2013, 11:19 PM
The copper sulfate process will also remove any tin that is in the melt. I did a similar thing to what you have going on there, and yes the bullets took a couple weeks to harden, but they eventually did and are way, way less brittle than regular wheel weight water quenched. Popper's response to my alloy (very similar to yours) is that the excess copper is in the mix binding with the antimony (not doing what we want) and adding pure to the mix will help everything.