PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for your kindness. Lyman Spartan re-finish

handyrandyrc
07-08-2007, 11:41 PM
I broke my Lee Challenger press a week or so ago. One of the great members here sent me their Lyman Spartan press to get me rolling again. It's a great cast iron and steel press, so I won't ever have any problems breaking it!

It was a bit rusty, so I thought I'd clean it up a bit.

http://www.commbloc.net/handyrandyrc/images/lymanold.jpg

I disassembled all parts, and soaked them for a couple of hours in Evaporust. I have a gallon of it from when I re-did my grandfather's old shotgun. It does wonders at removing rust. I then stripped the paint, as I was considering re-painting the main cast body. After all of the paint was off, I washed, dried, and oiled EVERYTHING. I then put all of the parts in the oven for 150 degrees for about 20 minutes.

http://www.commbloc.net/handyrandyrc/images/lymannew.jpg

I actually LOVED the way the body came out -- like a seasoned cast-iron dutch oven. So I gave it a couple of extra treatments, and then reassembled to what you see above. I am not yet going to paint it, it looks so good the way it is. I'm sure I'll need to keep it oiled, but I live in a dry desert climate, so I'm not super-worried about flash rust. My dutch ovens stay nice after they've been treated, so I imagine this will too.

Thanks again for the press, my friend! You are a fine gentleman!

ez4545
07-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Nice JOB!

This site has some really great folks that share their knowledge and more.

Bill

creekwalker
07-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Excellent clean up job on the press, it always amazes me at how a little bit of work can produce remarkable results with tools and equipment. In addition to corrosion control the enamel paint or powder coat applied to press bodies also helps to keep them clean, as the operator can generally use a cloth to wipe down the press.

creekwalker

handyrandyrc
07-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Creekwalker, thanks for pointing that out. I had not thought about the "ease of cleaning" aspect with good paint. Now that you mention it, it's something really important to me (clean equipment). I will probably go ahead and use a good enamel on the body. It's down to bare iron right now (sans the oil I treated it with)...

I wonder if a little soak in acetone will get the surface prepped for paint, now that I've oiled it?

creekwalker
07-09-2007, 03:36 PM
An aerosol can of brake or carburetor cleaner is all I’d use to clean off the oil. Dissemble the press, tape off anything you don’t want paint on, hang the parts from wires and paint. It’s all to easy to go overboard on a simple project and have wasted time and money in the mix, just keep it simple and be prepared for the “how’d you do that?” and “Wow, that looks great comments” to come rolling in.

creekwalker

madcaster
07-09-2007, 04:47 PM
150 degrees for 20 minutes???
Looks like it cooked up pretty good!LOL![smilie=s: [smilie=s: [smilie=s:

dubber123
07-09-2007, 07:20 PM
I re did my old Sparten last year, and to bring it up to date I painted it orange to look like the "newer" Lyman stuff. I used Hemi Orange engine enamel. I figured the "Hemi" color might speed up the old single stage! Juries still out on that. BTW I really like the open face on these presses. Very user friendly.

ChrisK
07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
It cleaned up great! I'd probably leave it as-is and oiled. A little bit of dirt on it will make it look more seasoned.

GP100man
07-09-2007, 10:32 PM
my first loading session was on a spartan , i loved the way it was tilted a little bit & plenty of leverage for 44 mag !!
+1 for hemi orange.

GP100man
:cbpour:

EMC45
07-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Vey cool! And BTW from the short time I have been here I have noticed that there are some really good folks here!

rbstern
07-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Nice work Randy, and kudos to the thoughtful member who sent it to you.

You break that one, and I am going to be serious worried about challenging you to an arm wrestling context. :)

dubber123
07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
They CAN be broken. My first one came used, and the guy before me had sized a bunch of military .308 fired out of an M-60. The resized so hard, the handle was bent at the threads. I used it this way for years, then 2 years ago, just as I was loading my first .475's for a hunt, the handle snapped off clean as a whistle at the threads. Lucky for me I have a MIG welder, and she was back in business shortly. I doubt I could ever truly wear it out.

LarryM
07-13-2007, 10:40 PM
I know where one of those is sitting for sale in a small shop. What would be a reasonable price to pay for one in say as good a shape as what we are looking at here?

jdhenry
07-14-2007, 02:16 AM
Nice job!!!! I just passed one of those presses on to one of my co-workers. In hopes that I can get him hooked:) They are nice and SOLID.

imashooter2
07-14-2007, 08:50 AM
I know where one of those is sitting for sale in a small shop. What would be a reasonable price to pay for one in say as good a shape as what we are looking at here?

I wouldn't offer more than $20. I bought a very similar Pacific off eBay for $10. Add in the shipping and you're right at the $20. If the shop won't take the $20 go low ball presses on eBay. Shouldn't be long till you hit one.

mark348
07-14-2007, 03:28 PM
i have a spartan and several spar t's they are a great press and very solid, keep your eyes open at the gunshows, and you may find the red plastic primer catcher,, i bought one new in the bag for 7 bucks i think,,,,, gives the press a "classic" look,,,,,,also thumbs up to the person that passed the press on,, very cool......... enjoy mark

buck1
07-21-2007, 12:57 AM
I'm telling ya, 9 out of 10 shooters are some of the best folks you'll ever meet.
Looks good!
...Buck