PDA

View Full Version : Noob reloader - which dies?

gkainz
01-11-2013, 02:13 PM
I got the Lee Breech lock Challenger Anniversary kit for Christmas ... I'm thoroughly confused by the die set options of 2 die, 3 die, 4 die sets that I see online. (and yeah, thoroughly discouraged that they're all Out Of Stock, back orderable) ...
So, reloading .223 for my Ruger Mini-14, what do I need for a die set (besides a miracle)? Cabela's shows Lee Deluxe 3 rifle die set, Lee RGB 2 die set, Lee collet 2 die set ... ???
Thanks in advance for suffering a noob question.

01-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Lee's web-site expalins the differences between their various rifle sets: http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/

joec
01-11-2013, 04:26 PM
For 223 the pacesetter should work fine but also get some case lube either from the same place as I posted or the Hornady one shot which I like.

The place below sells cheaper than anyone else with reasonable shipping prices and very fast service.
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-pacesetter-dies-223-90502.html

They are also out of stock on the deluxe 3 die set also https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-delux-rifle-3-di-223-90604.html

TNsailorman
01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Any die set, Lee, RCBS, Lyman, etc. that includes a Full length resize die and a bullet seater die will work. For the Mini 14 I wouldn't recommend a collet resize die because it is a neck size die and the Mini 14's sometimes don't function well with neck sizing only. The Lee RGB set is a good way to start or buy a good used set of the other makes from someone. I usually like to seat and crimp in separate operations which means buying a crimp only die and the Lee Pacesetter die set includes a full length sizer, a seater die, a factory crimp die, a shell holder, and a powder scoop. I would recommend Imperial Size Die Wax, it wipes on with your fingers and wipes off with a paper towel or old bath towel. Super slick stuff. Their web site is: www.leeprecision.com Take care and enjoy your reloading, it is a hobby all to itself. james

gkainz
01-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks, guys. Anything different if I also reload for my son-in-law's AR?

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-11-2013, 05:35 PM
No, generally semi-auto's work best with a full length resizing each time, the neck-sizing dies are mean't more for bolt action and single shot rifles

MtGun44
01-11-2013, 08:32 PM
For the budget concious, the Lee dies are fine. For semiautos like an AR, I recommend the Lee die set with the (rifle type) factory
crimp die. This die is superb for putting a crimp on the jacketed bullets that you will likely use for much of your AR shooting.
This is critical to keep the bullet in place. If you have a generous budget, I suggest Hornady dies and add a Lee factory
crimp die. The Hornady dies have a precision floating sleeve system which will make straighter ammo and straighter
ammo is more accurate ammo. Lee is NOT bad but probably half a step behind in precision without the seater sleeve.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have personally witnessed 3 different high quality .223 rifles destroyed by ammo that had only ONE
seemingly minor flaw. TOO LONG CASES. The brass will need to be measured EVERY firing and probably trimmed every
firing with full power ammo with Jbullets. Do not overlook this. Not difficult, a bit time consuming but absolutely
critical. Brass stretches, especially in high intensity rifle cartridges like the .223.

Stay safe. And you are right, .223 stuff will take quite a while to get back in stock. Get a couple of good reloading manuals,
such as Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Hodgdon, etc and read the front parts a few times, LOTS of valuable info there. This is not
difficult but it does require understanding of what you are about and attention to detail.

Bill

kweidner
01-12-2013, 05:15 AM
I would highly reccomend small base dies for an AR. I had to buy small base set for my RRA. I do have a full length size set and they wouldn't work. I also have a neck die set for bolt guns. Here is my rule of thumb. 3 die set for everything but semi. Small base set for semi. If you get neck die only you will eventually have to full length size after about 3 or 4 firings anyway unless you run a match chamber BR rig. Pistol go carbide as your volume will likely be higher and you don't have to lube.