PDA

View Full Version : 50' indoor optics question

45-70bpcr
01-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Just started a indoor .22 4 position league for the winter. Not sure yet how it is going to work. With my old knees I am finding the kneeling position sadistic but I am working on it. A friend loaned me a scope to get me going but if I decide to pursue this I will need to find one of my own. The loaner is a 20x litschert that works really nice. Focus is very clear at 50'. Is that something I can expect from any of the old external adjustment unertl, lymans, feckers, etc.? Should they focus down to 50'?

joesig
01-11-2013, 01:21 PM
If you decide to go the internal route, Leupold had an EFR (extended focus range) 6.5-20X. I believe their custom shop will also adjust your parallax distance too.

Hip's Ax
01-11-2013, 03:15 PM
I have two 16X Unertl's and a 20X Lyman and they adjust down to 50 feet and are nice and clear. I do have a Litschert 20X but never tried it at 50 feet so I cannot say but the fact that you like it give me hope. :) The glass in my Litschert is no where as nice as my Unertl's or Lyman so if you get one of these you are in for a nice surprise. The Redfield 3200's are awesome at 50 feet, wonderfull glass and clicks that are perfectly repeatable. I use the Redfields on my prone guns only.

I bought a new position rifle a few years ago and that rifle needed a receiver scope and went with a Weaver T24 and I loved it. problem was when the NRA went to the USA-50 target from the A36 I had a hard time keeping track of that 1/8" dot in the Weaver so I bought a Leupold EFR with the Duplex cross hair. In my research there are not many new target scopes that focus to 50 feet but both of these scope seem quite good.

Doc Highwall
01-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Another advantage with a Leupold 6.5x20xEFR is you can turn the power down if you need to for days that you are not too steady.

Forrest r
01-11-2013, 07:49 PM
I haven't seen any of the older external adjustment scopes that wouldn't go down to 50ft.

The newer internal adjustment scopes are another story. I know the old lyman all americans will go down to 50ft with no problem. I've been buying Sightron scopes when I buy a new scope any more. Good price, excellent optics with repeatable adjustments and will focus down to 10yds/meters so they can be used on airguns. I like their 1/8" dots enough that I sold off all of my leupolds.

kweidner
01-11-2013, 09:50 PM
+1 on sightron. I have 3 of them. 2 that are 6 x24 1 that is 4x16 side focus. One 24x is on my Br 50 heavy gun. Awesome glass. Weren't as expensive then.

HARRYMPOPE
01-11-2013, 10:28 PM
The old(sort of) Weaver KT-15's are my choice for 10 meter airguns(PCP and recoil-less) and 50' smallbore rifles.

George

Doc Highwall
01-11-2013, 11:27 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is if you shoot 100 yards out doors you will need 20 power minimum to see your bullet holes or you will need a spotting scope.

flounderman
01-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Best glass I ever shot was a 2 inch unertle, but it was heavy. Offhand is the most difficult position and weight could be a consideration. Pass a tip along. One of the best offhand shooters I ever shot against told me, I never pull the shot off while I am in the bull. If I do, I will pull it off. I pull it off coming into the bull. If you can have the trigger ready to break as you are slowly coming into the ten this technique will work and if you are shakey, it takes most of the movement and transfers it to a stroke like drawing a line across the target.

Nobade
01-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Just a useful tip if you guys have never tried it - if you stop down the objective lens of your scope you will lose brightness but be able to focus very close. Either a hole in your scope cap or tape with a hole in it or whatever you choose and you can be parallax free to five feet or so. Make the hole big enough to let in enough light to see but no bigger than required. Neat trick if you find yourself in a situation where you need to shoot close and your scope won't focus that close.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Just a useful tip if you guys have never tried it - if you stop down the objective lens of your scope you will lose brightness but be able to focus very close. Either a hole in your scope cap or tape with a hole in it or whatever you choose and you can be parallax free to five feet or so. Make the hole big enough to let in enough light to see but no bigger than required. Neat trick if you find yourself in a situation where you need to shoot close and your scope won't focus that close.

That is a neat tip.

I use a Bushnell Sportview model 79-0039 3-9X32 air rifle scope, it has target turrets. The AO adjusts down below 7.5 meters and up to 100 meters. It's very clear for a Korean scope. And it has held up well on my RWS-54 .177 spring-air pellet rifle...a powerfull 1100fps model.

I did a quit search as to provide a link for this scope or it's newest version...it appears Bushnell quit the Air Rifle scope thing about 10 years ago. I bought mine about 20 years ago.

45-70bpcr
01-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Well I certainly appreciate all the good info and suggestions. I did find also Leupold also has a 50' focus adapter to make a non EFR model scope work indoors. Lots of options none of which I see are inexpensive! Thanks for all the help. Still really need to find a way to shoot the kneeling. Tried again last night and it was a train wreck.

Doc Highwall
01-12-2013, 10:02 PM
The 50' adapter only works on 40mm scopes that are threaded.

Hip's Ax
01-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Think of kneeling as offhand with an elbow rest. Check your NPA(natrual point of aim) big time in kneeling. Get on the target, close your eyes and relax. Open your eyes and if the rifle is not in the center of the bull (or at least your wobble zone is on the center of the bull) skootch around and repeat. Kneeling hold has a good amount of movement most of the time, you will most likely have to time your shot like you do in offhand.

Doc Highwall
01-13-2013, 12:50 PM
I have found that if my natural point of aim was good but I was wobbling too much, that moving my elbow on my knee slightly left or right would help greatly.

Hip's Ax
01-13-2013, 12:55 PM
If you are wobbling left to right, keep your left foot at a 45 degree angle to the fireing line and keep your left shin perpendicular to the floor. Yes, I find moving my left elbow around (actually I keep my arm behind the elbow on my knee) can work wonders.

45-70bpcr
01-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Doc and Hip's thanks for the kneeling tips too. My big problem with the kneeling is I am 6'7" 52 and bad knees that won't allow me to sit back on my foot even when using a kneeling roll. There is a guy older than me that had both knees replaced a couple years ago. He uses a kneeling roll under his ankle and a baseball catchers "knee saver" that straps on top of his calf so he can sit on and put his weight on it so the knee doesn't have to bend near as far. He is back to high 90's or cleans on his kneeling. I am trying something similar. I will keep all the NPA and elbow placement in mind. Thanks again