PDA

View Full Version : Got new style Lee 2 banger this morning!

Shooter6br
01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Received Lee .356 RN mold for sons 380 Bersa Thunder. WOW Great looking mold. On the surface as nice as a custom mold in block fit ....Midsouth

Andrew Mason
01-11-2013, 05:04 PM
i cant way to get my hands on one of these.

should be great for hollow point conversions

zuke
01-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Those do look purdy!
I just might have to pick up a new one.

tiwimon
01-11-2013, 06:25 PM
If you don't mind me asking, where did you order it? I'm hoping to order and get the new version

Casting_40S&W
01-11-2013, 06:48 PM
I use new style lee .356-124-2r, got mine from TITAN. Love the new style molds. Rolls Royce Looks/Quality, Kia Price Tag.

Looks like the OP got his from Mid South Shooters Supply.

rexherring
01-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Same as mine, nice mold. Mine started dropping good boolits right away.

DLCTEX
01-11-2013, 07:25 PM
I need to trade in all my old 2 cav. moulds. Is that a vent line near the top?

Catshooter
01-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Well, well, well. Looky there. Good on Lee.

Cat

myg30
01-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Im very glad to see they did away with the miss alignment pins. That REALLY looks like a good mold ! Im with DLCTEX on this one.
Keep us informed if ya have any trouble with it.

Mike

mooman76
01-20-2013, 07:42 PM
I just got one of the new Lee moulds yesterday from Midway. Mine looks like the one here but mine actually is a 365-95 for the Makarov 9mm pistol. I didn't know they redesigned their moulds until now. It's not a vent line near the top. Mine has the same look. It's just the way the vent lines were cut. The vent lines which you can't see very well in the picture are cut like on the 6 cavity moulds except finer. Also what wasn't mentioned or shown in the picture are the handles are now attached with allen screws instead of the pins.

I wasn't sure I liked it better when I first seen it thinking it was just cosmetic. It didn't align well out of the box. It had a sticker wrapped around the mould giving warning to clean and properly lube mould before use. Sometimes I don't even bother or forget to clean the new moulds before use, and it did look real clean out of the box but I thought, what the heck and cleaned it anyway. I lubed it with bullplate and preheated it and it started lining right up. The cavities looked real good and bullets started dropping right out of the mould right off. The only problem I had and I considered it minor, the sprue plate kept loosening up about every 75-100 boolits I would have to tighten it slightly but I always keep tools at hand when casting so no big deal to me.

Over all I liked it allot and quality was as good or better than any Lee mould I have gotten new and I have quite a few.

I also forgot to mention that they beveled the edges of the mould so it eliminates the sharp corners.

DLCTEX
01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Allen screws for attachment? Even better!! My mould budget is in trouble.

MikeS
01-21-2013, 03:53 PM
The new mould design sure looks nice, now if we could get Lee to redesign their sprue plates we would really have something! I think their 2 cavity sprue plates (and it appears they're using the same one on their new design) are too thin, I really like sprue plates that are much thicker. I wouldn't mind a thicker aluminum sprue plate, similar to their 6 cavity moulds, I've never had a moment's problem with their aluminum sprue plates, although I could see some of the heavy handed casters out there totally mangling an aluminum 2 cavity sprue plate, unless they designed it with a handle similar to their 6 cavity moulds. It wouldn't need to be a cam lever like them, but perhaps just a handle designed for opening by hand rather than a stick or mallet.

Having said all that, I'm still impressed with their redesign, it shows they're moving in the right direction!

mooman76
01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Yes the sprue plate is the same basic design. Worked well on this though.

badbob454
01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
these look like an easy cantidate for making a hollow point mold gotta get me one for my e. german makarov

khmer6
01-23-2013, 01:35 AM
i just got the same exact mold from midway. i was wondering why my 380 mold and 45 mold looked different design

Echd
01-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Lee wins again! I'll be grabbing some of those for sure. Cheap .380 Lead HPs would be great