PDA

View Full Version : Salvage your Range Pick ups!

P.K.
01-11-2013, 11:01 AM
(Dunno if this topic has been covered yet or not, if so, sorry for the waste of bandwidth.)

***This is for informational purposes, follow all instruction in a current and recognized reloading manual at all times!***

I'm sure a few of the other members here have their own methods of what to do with their "damaged" range PU's( Hammering them down, repurposing or Swaging being three.) but, some of the newer folks may just toss or let them go in search of better leavings.

While I have a pretty good supply of my current chamberings and could afford to toss what I considered "damaged" I got to pondering what folks used to do with harder to find cases. At todays prices (((((shudder!))))) it's just not in the budget ( mine or any other reloader just starting out) to order a few hundred new cases. Most of your traditional firearms (bolt, lever or revolver) leave brass in really good shape upon ejecting the case (provided it was loaded correctly in the first place.). The more recent actions are prone to malfunctions from time to time and we end up with stovepipes, misfeeds etc. But probably the biggest culprit to mangled brass is being kicked around and trod under foot. This is fine for the "Blast and Gas" crowd who leave the ranges covered in once fired treasure but, for us we just hope there are plenty of pristene cases at the end of the day for our use.

While I peruse the leavings with a critical eye for the best, same HS's and condition, some others may need, because of a lack of their own, to grab what is to be had. ( Don't get me wrong, if I can shoot it it goes in the bag).

In either case I'm sure you have come across some of these gems:
I had others that were in worse shape, crushed shoulders and cases for example.These are a sample of "salvageable" brass I found for another shooter.
For the most part, deformed necks are the easiest and from a budget reloaders stand point the least time intensive way to save brass. There are other ways mentioned above such as cutting down and swaging but for new guys or old guys like me, lets start here with a Harbor Freight set of $2.00 needle nose pliers. These are a "1/2" round style and the most common. Rounded on top and bottom, flat on the sides. ( You can find some smaller sets geared for instruments and jewlery that are full round around the jaws.)

Insert the pliers flat side to the dimple:

Insert just far enough to contact the case mouth, then turn the pliers to contact the dimple. Then apply more pressure untill the dimple is forced out and even with the rest of the case neck.

When completed the case mouth will look close to round, alot closer than when you started.

Now, in the chance that you used too much force to push the dimple out, your case mouth may be flaired to a certain degree. Not a good thing when your next step is the resizing/decapping process. You are going to need to deburr and lube the outside of your case mouth just a "bit" to give your case a surface to "ride" inside your sizing die.

( The best way to lube the deburred section of your case mouth is with your finger tip. This way you locate any spots you missed and brush any shavings away. A little case lube goes a lonnnng way so don't just dip your finger in the stuff. Just enough to leave a residue on your fingertip should be more than enough to do a few cases. Too much and it ends up in your die collecting everything.)

REMEMBER: Follow all instruction from your reloading manual, if you don't understand something, ask, the only dumb question is the one never asked.;-)

buyobuyo
01-11-2013, 12:01 PM
I've used this method to save many a case.

timbuck
01-11-2013, 12:10 PM
The appropriate center punch inserted in the case,
neck and twisted, like the needle nose pliers, also works.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/STARRETT-Center-Punch-Set-2ZVJ8?gclid=CNLTldrX4LQCFelFMgodzWoAhg&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Hand%20Tools-_-Punches,%20Chisels,%20and%20Hand%20Drills-_-2ZVJ8&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2ZVJ8&ef_id=UPA4lAAARyC340YK:20130111160644:s

mdi
01-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Early in my reloading, this is how I flared my handgun case mouths for seating lead bullets...

mikeyd23
01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
+1 The center punch works well for me...

smkummer
01-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Preaching to the chior my friend, but good info for newbies.

David2011
01-29-2013, 04:32 PM
+1 for a punch. I bought 3,000 once fired 5.56 cases. A bunch of them had dented mouths and after struggling with pliers as in the OP I noticed a pin punch in the reloading bench tool drawer and had a "Eureka" moment. A tap or 2 with a light hammer restored the mouths enough that they would go through a sizing die again.

David

Silvercreek Farmer
01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks,

I sometimes end up with a tiny portion of the case mouth folded down after a case doesn't quite go into a die straight. I've tried unfolding it with a pair of pliers and the edge of a knife, but they just chew up the brass. Any ideas on how to fix this type of damage?

P.K.
01-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Thanks,

I sometimes end up with a tiny portion of the case mouth folded down after a case doesn't quite go into a die straight. I've tried unfolding it with a pair of pliers and the edge of a knife, but they just chew up the brass. Any ideas on how to fix this type of damage?

Could you snap a few pic's? By folding, you mean the decap pin caught the outside of the case?

MOcaster
02-18-2013, 01:47 AM
Slivercreek Farmer, I've done the same thing many times and haven't came up with a way to fix it. I don't know if I am the only one who noticed this but 223 cases fit pretty good inside of 9mm brass. When swaging 40 S&W jacketed hollow points from 9mm brass, and I am expanding the case mouth to seat the core, sometimes I hit the case on the die and crush it. The cases are annealed so they crush easy. I will use pliers to unfold it if it is really deformed then insert a (deformed) 223 case, mouth first, into the 9mm case to round it back out.

EMC45
02-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Saved many cases this way, heck I used to use this method for flaring for cast loads before I got my Lee Unversal flare die.

USMC87
02-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Now days we need to save anything we can, Never know when they will dry up brass.

lightman
02-25-2013, 11:07 PM
A good center punch has had a place on my loading bench for a long time. So have a pair of needle nose pliers. Lightman

garym1a2
02-26-2013, 09:23 AM
All this .223 brass with dented necks is a great reason to buy or make a blackout and cut the neck off!