PDA

View Full Version : BP measurer/thrower?

DeadWoodDan
01-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Will soon be loading for my Springfield 1884 .45-70 and curious on how everyone is measuring there powder? I am in the process of making a drop tube also. Not sure what the quickest method is to measure 70gr by volume?

thanks
Kevin

r1kk1
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
I use a JDS QM.

http://quick-measure.com/bpqm.htm

It works very well!

r1kk1

Bullshop
01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Belding & Mull (sp) visable measurer here.

joec
01-11-2013, 11:26 AM
I use a Lee powder dipper however I don't load 70 gr of FFg but shoot for 65 to 70 using the 3.40 dipper. The Lyman Black Powder book calls for 60 gr with a 405 gr cast bullet.

RCE1
01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
I've used a lot of different measures, several of which were not recommended for BP. Lyman, Belding & Mull, Harrell, Neil Jones, Redding...you pays your money and takes your chances, but I've had most luck with a Redding 3BR with rifle chamber installed. I used one of the Sinclair drop tube adapters and created a 30" drop tube out of thinwall brass tubing. You can fabricate an aluminum or brass hopper if you want, but I always used a LDPE hopper from Sinclairs. The brass case was placed below the drop tube on top of a digital scale, which allowed me to both weigh and measure/drop the charges. Worked out really well, but I am sure my attorney would deny any knowledge of such activities.

carbine
01-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I have been using the Belding and Mull for 30 years. It was made for Black powder.

DeadWoodDan
01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Just got off the phone with Belding & Mull; spoke with Donna, very informative and knowledgable, these haven't been made since the 1970's, BUT been such a demand there going back into production! Bad news is new production won't be ready for another 3 months, gives me time to save and that is good. Prices are better than most at $162 for the 1lb hopper.

So while i'm saving any recommendations for loading up my first rounds? My thought process this far since i shoot and load for my BP Hawkins; use my powder measure by volume? will be slow . Since i'm new to this i'm not after accuracy at first, just have some fun and let the rifle and i get to know each other.

Baja_Traveler
01-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Redding 3BR with a 30" aluminum arrow shaft drop tube.

r1kk1
01-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Just got off the phone with Belding & Mull; spoke with Donna, very informative and knowledgable, these haven't been made since the 1970's, BUT been such a demand there going back into production! Bad news is new production won't be ready for another 3 months, gives me time to save and that is good. Prices are better than most at $162 for the 1lb hopper.

So while i'm saving any recommendations for loading up my first rounds? My thought process this far since i shoot and load for my BP Hawkins; use my powder measure by volume? will be slow . Since i'm new to this i'm not after accuracy at first, just have some fun and let the rifle and i get to know each other.

Depends on the projectile. I would start at 40 grains and work up in ten grain increments. Is this a 45 or 50 or 54 caliber?

Take care,

r1kk1

RCE1
01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
You ought to get the SPG Reloading Primer, written by Steve Garbe and Mike Venturino. It will get you off on the right foot.

Luckily, BP is fairly forgiving. You want to have a full case, and I've found somewhare around 1/16th to 1/8th" compression is a good thing. I use a separate compression die, not the base of the bullet during seating. You will want an overpowder wad made of plastic (or cork or gasket material or...) protecting the bottom of the bullet. You come to realize pretty fast that all rifles are a universe unto themselves and what works for my Shiloh or Meacham won't necessarily work for your TD, although the fundamental principals run pretty true. The devil's in the details.

If you are more interested in recreating the historic ammunition used for that particular firearm, there is a copy of the Pat Wolf book for sale in the member classified. It gives a very knowledgable description of how the Army did it in the 19th century. I found a more modern approach worked better for me, but YMMV.

DeadWoodDan
01-11-2013, 04:48 PM
SPG book is on my list. Most other components i have, compression die, 5 die set, ect...

Bottom line is i will want to make most accurate loads for "my warrior"; yep have Pat Wolfs book, good info.

thanks