PDA

View Full Version : Need help on .32 rim fire to center fire conversion,

coaldust
01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
I have a Remington rolling block #4 take-down in .32 rim fire and I need to find someone who can convert
it to 32-20 center fire or another caliber that will work in this rifle.

KCSO
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
32-20 centerfire is more ctg than that #4 was made for, the 32 rimfire is a wimp ctg with about 650 fps or so and is very mild. There is a reason Remington never made the small frames in 32-20. I have converted several of thse to 32 S and W short but won't do one to 32-20.

I'll Make Mine
01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
The simplest conversion is to load heeled boolits in .32 Long Colt, which is the same case dimension as the old .32 Rimfire; all you need is to convert the breech block to centerfire and load black powder and heeled boolits in .32 Long Colt cases. No barrel modification of any kind is required.

There may be a drop-in or near drop-in conversion for this rifle, in the form of a centerfire breech block that will replace the one you have; install the new breech block and you're ready to fire .32 Long Colt (but use only black powder rounds in that rifle).

coaldust
01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info, This the reason I really like this forum

texassako
01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
The Rifle Shoppe is about to have some new breach blocks in for the #2 RB; so you might ask them about one for the #4. http://www.therifleshoppe.com/ I am getting one to be able to shoot .32 Colt without altering the original block, but in the mean time I have reloaded for .32 rimfire using rimfire acorns for driving nails seated in the base of some drilled out .32 rimfire cases and a round ball seated on top.

I'll Make Mine
01-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Dixie Gun Works sells .32 cases built similar to a Hammond Game Getter (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=cedtl0lifmloirsl gdu23lt9a1&keywords=.32+rimfire&x=0&y=0) for use in .32 rimfire rifles; these cases have an off center hole for .22 power loads (as above) and are used with round ball -- just like what texassako made, but don't require the ability to alter an original case (nor having access to original cases, though I'm sure you could alter a .32 Colt case the same way, that's probably how the ones at Dixie Gun Works are made).

You do have to load these in the correct orientation so the power load rim falls under the firing pin, but for a single shot rifle that should be no big deal. At five bucks each, they seem expensive, but they should last forever and there's no reason you'd need more than a half dozen at most (three or four are probably plenty for most folks). Load with 0 buck, it's undersize for the bore but will fit the case, and buckshot is cheap; once you have the cases, you can shoot this way for not much more per round than a .22 rimfire.