PDA

View Full Version : Help identify NEI 50 cal mould

SilverBow
01-11-2013, 12:47 AM
I'm thinking about buying a used NEI mould, but the seller does not know much about it beyond comparing the diameter to a .512 bullet and stating that it is smaller --- likely .500.

The mold is an NEI aluminum with the label "500 50 P". Here are some pictures:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/DSC_0013.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/DSC_0015.jpg

Does anyone recognize this mould, or can the label be decipher to mean 500gr .50 diameter (and what about the P, plainbase?)

The grease grooves look shallow, so I'm curious if this might work as a paper-patched bullet in a 505 Gibbs. Any thoughts?

swamp
01-11-2013, 02:50 AM
I would suggest trying their website to see if it is listed.
swamp

Nobade
01-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Most likely casts out at .500" and designed to be paper patched. If your rifle has a .500" X .510" or so barrel it'll work great.

shorty500M
01-11-2013, 09:38 AM
resembles mold in old catalog i have. Like other poster said a nominal .500 diameter catalog show .498 shallow grooves nominal 500grain and to be paper patched to .510

Bullshop
01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
I have that NEI mold in both 45 and 50 caliber.
As stated they are intended to be patched to groove diameter. The system I have developed for patching for these molds has yealded excellent results. I use 20lb 100% cotton bond and run the through a lubrisizer with appropriate die installed. I fold the tails so they can evenly press flat in the die. Works very good even in a Marlin 1895 45/70 if loaded without a crimp and patch is kept nearly completely inside the case. I could post some picture results with this mold design if you wish.
It is not a traditional PP design but is one that works. I also shoot traditional design with smooth sided boolits patched to bore diameter and they work just as well which just goes to proove there is always more than one road to success.

SilverBow
01-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Bullshop, I would very much like to see a picture of your results with this mould. I'm sure others would be interested as well, so feel free to post a link in this thread. It does seem like an unconventional paper patch mould with those faint grooves on the body.

Thanks very much to the above posters for the info... I've decided to go ahead and buy the mould. I was hoping to find a paper patch mould, mostly out of curiousity (it'll be my first foray), and also because it seemed like an excellent/flexible "system" to experiment with plinking and full-power loads in my 505 rifle (also a first foray into big bores!)

I checked the NEI catalog, and it looks like this is a variant of #364 (.510-500-PP) --- I was thrown off, though, by the 500 50 P labelling.

http://www.neihandtools.com/catpages/mold13.jpg

Bullshop
01-11-2013, 01:26 PM
The 50 cal I have is the #367. Same design just more weight in mine. My 45 cal is a 500gn. I have had it a loooooong time. It is still in its original green and yellow paper box from Elpaso Texas. Walt started out in Elpaso then moved to Oregon then when Walt passed his Daughter moved the company back to Texas. Both my molds were made by Walt and I have numerous others made by him. When I decided to go into the boolit selling business Walt and Veral were about the only games in town. This was before we all had computers and used snail mail a phone to order. Veral was a most dificult man to deal with in that he would always give what he thought best but not neccessarliy what you asked for but that is another story.
We are having some real nasty weather right now but I will go to my shop and see what I can find that I can post for pics.

Bullshop
01-11-2013, 02:07 PM

This is the only target I could find using one of those molds. I thought I had some others but you know how that goes. I used the 50 cal in a 50/90 Sharps to take a nice bull moose in Alaska and also a nice mulie buck in Montana.
The mulie buck was in the bad lands near the Missouri breaks. I jumped him from his bed when working one of the many juniper choked coolies. I waited with rifle raised and cocked waiting for him to come up and out on the other side. In about a minute he did but stopped with his neck and shoulder hid behind about an 8" diameter juniper. I waited for him to step out until I just couldnt hold the gun up any more.
I thought this is a 600gn boolit with 100gn of ffg powder under it and so should easily go through the tree. At about 80 yards distance give or take I held on the tree where his shoulder would be right behind it and touched it off. At the shot I saw large chunks ofjuniper wood flying and the buck just dropped. When I got to the buck judging by the large furrow in the ground beyond him I guessed the boolit still had some steem left after passing through the buck as well as the tree.
Anyway the target was fired with B00 my first year production 1895 Marlin 45/70 with the 500gn 45 of the same design. 5 shots at 100 yards with receiver sight. The box shows the paper used for patching.

SilverBow
01-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the pictures, Bullshop, and nice shooting!

Now that I know this is a paper patch mould, I've posted a follow up question in the appropriate smokeless PP forum:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?179997-Advice-on-NEI-50-cal-paper-patch-mould-and-505-Gibbs&p=2014280#post2014280

nanuk
01-19-2013, 05:34 AM
SilverBow

did you get that one off of CGN?

it looks exactly like the one I tried to buy, but someone got there before me... about 5Min after it was posted.