PDA

View Full Version : Case Trimmer problem

Grapeshot
01-11-2013, 12:30 AM
OK. I've been using my Lyman case trimmer since I got it 30 years ago on a regular basis. Lately I have been using it to trim back .40 S&W cases prior to them being converted to Bullet Jackets in my swaging dies. The problem is this, The pilot is sticking in the case and requires a great deal of force to get it out. Is the cutting head getting dull and folding over the case mouth and jamming things up? I've been using a hand drill to power trim the cases and put a few drops of oil on the pilot and case to ack as a cutting fluid. This is the first time in the ten years of using it as a powered trimmer that this has cropped up.

pt4u2nv
01-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Probably taking too much off at one time and the burr left on the end of the case is not letting the pilot come back out. Been there and done that. I did replace the cutter which helped but I found out that feeding the cutter a little slower and not taking off as much during each rotation helps.

GRUMPA
01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
I had the same issue some time back but with a different trimmer, I needed to come up with something and had a custom made cutter/trimmer head made for my RCBS case trimmer. The problem was while trimming the case shorter it was creating an I.D. burr that was binding the case to the pilot.

I tried and tried a few different things but the new trimmer head worked better than I had hoped. Here's a picture of what mine look like.

And here's the trimmer/cutter head I had made for it.

I have never worked with a Lyman case trimmer so I can't comment on the trimmer, but if there's a way for you to get it to trim a bit more off the I.D. of the case that should stop the problem.