PDA

View Full Version : ? on Alcan Flite-Max

472x1B/A
01-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Am wondering if anyone can tell me if Alcan put their 3/8 in. Feltan-Bluestreak fiber wads inside the Flite-Max No. 2 wad? These are a light blue in color.

I have a box of the Alcan Flite-Max No.2 wads with the 3/8 in fiber wads inside of each one. Were these put in at the factory, or by someone that had them befor me. Got them at an auction 10 or 12 years ago. I also have a Lyman 2nd Edition Shotshell Handbook that says nothing about this. I have read it word for word, front to back, with no mention of the fiber wad inside the No.2 wad. Thanks in advance.

runfiverun
01-11-2013, 12:25 AM
all the alcan wads have the felt inside them.
the wad seats on top of the powder and the shot sticks up above the plastic wad sitting on top of the felt.
the shot is supposed to set back into the wad when fired.

472x1B/A
01-11-2013, 12:43 AM
That's what I thought would happen. Most of the loads in the 2nd Ed. were for 1 3/8's and 1 1/2 oz. of shot. Thanks runfiverun. Now I can use'em up.

atr
01-11-2013, 10:49 AM
I need to pick runfiverun mind on this too....I have alot of these wads and don't have a clue how to use them..don't want to throw them away
atr

472x1B/A
01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
I just finished loading 2 boxes of old Federal high brass, paper base, 6 point hulls with 1 1/2oz. of #4's. Used Blue Dot and these Alcan wads, crimps were real good, will one of these days take some out and see how they do. Thanks again rfr.

runfiverun
01-12-2013, 07:37 PM
i have some data for some alcan powder for these wads.
i have a bag of period 7-1/2 shot and a partial bag on #6, and some alcan-5 powder.
i even have 100 brand new [factory new not once fired] primed rxp hulls waiting for the day i decide to go period retro.

these wads were designed to have pressure applied to the wad
and the old data will specify 40 lbs or 60 lbs as part of the recipe.
look on the front of a mec reloader for a scale.
now you know why it's there.
the pressure would seat everything to a specific height for the shot column.
if substituting these for regular load data be aware the gas sealing is inferior to new wads so you need to use more powder to get the same approximate velocities.
something like 18 grs of red dot/clays etc instead of 17.5 will get you in the ball park.
also be aware that these wads don't protect the shot column like a new wad does so your groups will be affected.
notice most all old shotguns have full chokes?

shotman4
01-12-2013, 08:12 PM
anyone want some?
be sure to watch the hulls you load
they dont work in the hulls that have the base liner . like the newer win AA and Rem gold

472x1B/A
01-12-2013, 08:36 PM
You are exactlly right on your information runfiverrun. I have had to adjust the wad pressure on my MECs many times using older wads/columns. Also one would not want to be mixing componets with the older hulls either. As using plastic wads where fiber wads are suppose to be used.

I take it shotman4 you ?may be? refering to the old Remington Hi-Velocity, high brass shells? They had a higher than normal powder cup base than other brands with high brass. I have some of thoes shells and have to use a higher volume powder load so the wad does not bottom out on it and leave a void. Not sure about the newer AA's and Rem gold interiors, haven't seen them.

If you have some of thoes older wads and want to get rid of them please let me know, as I can use them.

runfiverun
01-13-2013, 03:39 AM
federal hulls will do well with them.
the purple fiocchi's will do okay with them also, but you'll have to lower the shot amount to make things fit.
you can remove one of the pieces of felt too if necessary and build a separate column height with 20 ga cork or cardboard wads.
it's all about the ejected weight here.