PDA

View Full Version : Price paid for scrap ZINC ?

Chill Wills
01-10-2013, 11:43 PM
I wonder how much scrap Zinc is bringing in various parts of the county? I have some to sell and sometimes the scrappers will really stick it to you (low ball you) on metals if the seller is uninformed.
Thanks in advance!
Chill

SO, How much are scrappers paying?

I'll Make Mine
01-10-2013, 11:56 PM
There'll be a fellow along shortly (Shadygrady) who'll offer to trade you weight for weight, his pure lead for your zinc. That's better than you'll get for zinc scrap at the yard...

shadygrady
01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
thats right send that zinc to me for lead

Chill Wills
01-11-2013, 01:39 PM
8-)Thanks. Right now I am just interested in how much bullet casters are getting for their Zinc from scrapers.
Thanks, Chill

AricTheRed
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM

I'm sure you want the Zinc smelted in to ingots, right?

Curious, what are you going to use all of my 60 or so lbs of Zinc for?

trying2learn
01-11-2013, 01:50 PM
No he just wants it however you send it to him. He sends back the same amount in lead. Good guy. He swapped with me when I forst got my ww together.

mrbillbus
01-11-2013, 01:58 PM
My scrap yard pays .30 a pound whether I make ingots or leave it in WW form. Guess who doesn't bother to smelt it anymore?

shadygrady
01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
it does not have to be melted or bars leave in oringinal state weight up 40 lbs of scrape zinc an send it to grady mitchell po box 62 cookeville tennessee 38503-0062 send the note with return address an amount of zinc in side thks g then i will send you lead

shadygrady
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
i make projectiles out of it cannon an other castings name plates plaques etc you can send any zinc bars /wheel weights /toys/handles/ fauset parts/ many things are zinc but no cast aluminium

badgeredd
01-11-2013, 05:03 PM
8-)Thanks. Right now I am just interested in how much bullet casters are getting for their Zinc from scrapers.
Thanks, Chill

I know of one recycler that will trade me lead WW for zinc WW even up. He also asks $0.75 a pound for the lead if you buy it. Obviously in that case the trade is beneficial to me. Unfortunately, he is 90 miles away so I usually now just sell it. Since we have a forum member that wants the things, I will likely contact him soon about my zincers. I'm low on pure lead so it looks like a win win to me.

Edd

NLS1
01-11-2013, 06:28 PM

Shadygrady, if that offer stands for anyone, I have a bunch I will send ya. Glad someone can use them.

Dan

357maximum
01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
i make projectiles out of it cannon an other castings name plates plaques etc you can send any zinc bars /wheel weights /toys/handles/ fauset parts/ many things are zinc but no cast aluminium

Shady is there a quick and dirty unscientific way to tell if the odd cast objecy is what you seek? I am never able to tell if castings are zink or potmetal of some sort. I know where a bunch of chainsaw hulls/bodies are at but am unsure of their metallic contents.

shadygrady
01-11-2013, 08:26 PM
heat them to 800 degrees if they melt its zinc

I'll Make Mine
01-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Alternate method to test for zinc (or high zinc content): if it bubbles with household vinegar, it's mostly zinc. Aluminum will also bubble with muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid), but zinc is the only metal commonly used in casting that will react noticeably with 5% acetic acid (aka white distilled vinegar).

FWIW, those chain saw parts are most likely aluminum (for lightness, and aluminum is less brittle than high-zinc alloys), but if you can test 'em easily, go for it...

badbob454
01-12-2013, 12:43 AM
shady can you show us some of your castings ? pics , just curious

Chill Wills
01-12-2013, 01:40 AM
:hijack::hijack:
shady can you show us some of your castings ? pics , just curious
[smilie=1:

:mrgreen:

357maximum
01-12-2013, 02:46 AM
I took some filings off one of the chainsaw hulls and hit the filings with a map gas torch...they lit and burned brightly....must be a magnesium based metal???.....maybe you could make tracer rounds for your cannon with them??? :lol:

I'll Make Mine
01-12-2013, 06:17 PM
I took some filings off one of the chainsaw hulls and hit the filings with a map gas torch...they lit and burned brightly....must be a magnesium based metal???

Yep, sounds like magnesium or magnalium (a fairly standardized magnesium/aluminum alloy). Aluminum will burn brightly too, though it's a bit less enthusiastic in starting than magnesium.

Pmc
01-13-2013, 09:14 AM
it does not have to be melted or bars leave in oringinal state weight up 40 lbs of scrape zinc an send it to grady mitchell po box 62 cookeville tennessee 38503-0062 send the note with return address an amount of zinc in side thks g then i will send you lead

I have some I need to get to you. Didn't realize you were in Cookeville, even better. I'm in Nashville. I'll get a package ready.

shadygrady
01-13-2013, 01:03 PM
ok thkjs g

shadygrady
01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
no pictures yet will try to get some time this year

Chill Wills
01-15-2013, 03:33 PM
SO, How much are scrappers paying?

-Chill

Dewey606
01-15-2013, 06:06 PM
I am also near Nashville and will set my zinc aside for you.

huntnman
01-16-2013, 10:56 PM
St.Charles Mo. Didion Orf recycling,$.20 lb zink/diecast: $.10 lb wheel weights.as of12/05/2012.They won't sell to me.

Chill Wills
01-17-2013, 04:09 PM
My scrap yard pays .30 a pound whether I make ingots or leave it in WW form. Guess who doesn't bother to smelt it anymore?
===================================
HUNTNMAN;St.Charles Mo. Didion Orf recycling,$.20 lb zink/diecast: $.10 lb wheel weights.as of12/05/2012.They won't sell to me.

Mrbillbus and Huntnman, Thanks for the info on your area!

This 36 lb bar of Zinc went to my scraper.

I took it in and asked the yard man if I could trade it out for scrap lead. We weighted it on their scale, 36lbs.

The yard man got his analyzer going and said Hmmm, OK. (these are typically men of few words) He said, "Get what (lead) you want on the scale and settle up at the window." He walked off with the zinc and gave a scrap of paper to the woman inside.

I found 83 lbs of soft plumbing pipe I use for tin lead alloys (BPCR) and a full, sealed 25lb bag of Lawrence #2 shot and scaled it. Went to the window. I said I am getting the lead on the scale and have a credit for the bar of Zinc. She did some calculating and said "you can get about 50 lbs more lead". I was puzzled but responded "that was all I found that I can use". She said "OK" and refunded me $37.50 and gave me a receipt.
"Thanks" I said and walked.

So.....Turned in one bar of Zinc. Received 83lbs of soft scrap lead, 25 lbs shot and $37.50 in cash.
It was worth not mailing it. Thanks to all. Life IS interesting. :mrgreen:

I'll Make Mine
01-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Maybe it was zinc-alloy solder (for joining aluminum)? That stuff is quite a bit more expensive than pure zinc...

Dragoon454
01-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Shady, PM me your contact info. I'm just outside Knoxville and it's about time for me to make a trip to Nashville. Maybe we could hook up for a swap. I've been lumping my zinc and steel WW together but will separate them if you're willing to swap for lead WW. I don't think I've got a lot but sounds like it's a win win for both parties.

Chill Wills
01-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Maybe it was zinc-alloy solder (for joining aluminum)? That stuff is quite a bit more expensive than pure zinc...

Maybe, Not sure really but he wanted it and paid well for it. Color me a happy camper.

shadygrady
01-18-2013, 02:41 AM
just pm me for info on the zinc lead trade but if you do not have 40 lbs or more to ship its not worth it needs to be 40 lbs or more for shipping now for a drop off you would have to have a lot for time meets are hard but if you do have 40 lbs or more here for a ftf trade we could find time to meet so just pm me or any one wanting lead for your zinc

Triggernosis
02-03-2013, 12:00 AM
I'm curious - how much does it typically cost to ship 40 lbs. of zinc or lead?

badbob454
02-03-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm curious - how much does it typically cost to ship 40 lbs. of zinc or lead?

medium flatt rate box will just hold 40 lbs and a box inside for support was 10.80 but i think there was a increase in the fees so 11.00 something

DukeInFlorida
02-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Flat rate boxes are the way to go!
Do a double box (box inside a box), and then tape the **** out of the outer box with packing tape.
Medium sized box is less than full with lead. Zinc would be closer to full at the 65-70 pound weight limit for the Flat Rate.