PDA

View Full Version : 9mm CN loading problem / HELP

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Ive been loading 9mm for a while and made several thousand without any OAL or feeding problems with xtream 115 jacketed to start with and Indiana Bullet 125 rn bb and was quite easy to produce the ammo for my Glock 17 with a 6" lone wolf barrel. All passed the plunk test and have shot well.
I started casting a few weeks ago with a RCBS 124 CN and today i made up 10 dummy rounds to check function and fit and it seems that they have to be seated really deep to head space properly. All the cases were 1-2 thousands under specs for diamater after crimp with LEE DIES but with the RCBS bullets they are hitting the throat at a OAL of 1.055 right on the lead at the case mouth.
I cant find any OAL specs for this CN bullet in any of my manuals or on any of the online sites i have.
Am i missing something here or is it that they are just seated deeper being conical.
Thanks Steve

220swiftfn
01-11-2013, 03:54 AM
I have data around here, but not right in front of me, so I can't say FOR CERTAIN that your OAL is right or wrong. That being said, I CAN say that a conical is going to have a shorter OAL than a round nose, and that if your case mouth is still on the bearing surface you're fine.......

Dan

winelover
01-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Just checked RCBS's Cast Bullet Manual and they list no OAL for their 124 CN. Lyman gives 1.110 as OAL for their 121 CN (356402), which is similar to RCBS's. Personally, I load both the Lyman 121 CN and RCB's 125 RN to the same OAL of 1.096 in my HP and Nano.

Winelover

Roundnoser
01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Just out of curiosity...have you tried to do the plunk test with just a casing? Run a casing through your reloading process, to include the crimp and try the plunk test.

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Just out of curiosity...have you tried to do the plunk test with just a casing? Run a casing through your reloading process, to include the crimp and try the plunk test.

I have not, never thoght of doing that but will check.
The thing is that its hitting the boolit just above the case mouthat about .015-
.020 above the mouth

220swiftfn
01-13-2013, 05:53 AM
I have not, never thoght of doing that but will check.
The thing is that its hitting the boolit just above the case mouthat about .015-
.020 above the mouth

That is normal, and the way to check OAL in the particular firearm that the loads are going to be shot in. (the base of the case should be flush with or just below the end of the barrel hood for the best results). As to a number to get started with, Hodgdon's annual manual has an un-named 125gr. lead conical nose listed at 1.125" OAL..... (the rule of thumb with SWC and the .45 acp is to have the shoulder proud of the case mouth by a finger nails thickness to be close....)

Dan