PDA

View Full Version : It never really shot well with cast anyway...

tek4260
01-10-2013, 10:20 PM
I was going through my reloading supplies and found several packs of the TC Mag Sabots with 240gr 45 caliber HP bullets. I had bought them on sale for $5 a pack of 20 with the intentions on using the sabots in my muzzleloader with my cast boolits. There were several loose bullets in the pack so I tried them in my brass framed 45 that I had worked and worked on trying to get it to shoot decent and not lead. I have firelapped it, recut the forcing cone, and replaced the cylinder due to oversize throats. It shot decent, but not great. Of course, I love the old revolver and that is the only reason it still lives here. I figured it shot well enough to hunt with.

I loaded some of the 240 JHP's over 28gr of H110. My bench was sitting 50 yards from the trap instead of the usual 25 and it was raining so I didn't bother moving it. I was impressed to say the least.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/1357834187.jpg

I went and loaded a few more and adjusted the Millet rear 5 clicks up and had it hitting POA. Again, 2 shots were nearly touching in the center of the target. :)

This is the first non cast load any of my 45's have seen. I have bought a couple of boxes of jacketed loads but have never fired them. Almost feels like a sin to shoot jacketed, but I have several other 45's to shoot cast in.

subsonic
01-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Sometimes when you get tired of casting and being super particular, it's nice to load some good jacketed and just shoot!

subsonic
01-10-2013, 11:37 PM
BTW, not bad!

tek4260
01-11-2013, 12:15 AM
The bottom hole is actually the first 2 shots. I figured I screwed up some kind of way and went to check after that to see if maybe one was in the black. I came back and shot another 2, checked for pull and shot another 1. I wish I had sat there and shot all 5 rather than walking back and checking before the last shot(which is top one). Had I sat there and shot like I was supposed to for all 5, I might have really had a group!!

nhrifle
01-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself. I've had a couple in the past that frustrated me to no end by just flat out refusing to shoot lead worth a darn. Yes, it feels wrong loading them, yes they do look funny, but they shoot. And any day spent shooting is a gift from above!

SciFiJim
01-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Once more an example of an individual gun liking what it likes and nothing else will work. It happens sometimes.

rintinglen
01-12-2013, 12:38 AM
^What he said. My old Redhawk would group RCBS 44-250 k boolits all day long under 2 inches at 25 yards for 6 shot groups. I am still struggling with the replacement after a year trying to approximate that performance. It will shoot 180 JHPs just fine, but that ain't what I bought it for.