PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark I disassembly

Leadmelter
01-10-2013, 08:57 PM
My old Ruger has been giving me fits recently. I get about 20-40% misfires with it. The gun was built in 1976 and is usually a tack driver.
I tried to disassembly and I cannot get the rear assembely out of the frame. I turn the latch and it released but the rest will not rotate out to pull out of the frame. Best as I can describe it.
Help Leadmelter
MI

JudgeBAC
01-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Do a you tube search for disassembly instructions,there are plenty of good videos showing the proper way to disassemble this weapon.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-10-2013, 09:50 PM
The rear assembly should rotate/slide out of the frame; it may be stiff from lack of being oiled for a long time...but with some lube and patience it will eventually work free. The big PITA with Mark I's is putting that particular ensemble back together again. It can drive you crazy until you get it. The hammer strut has to be exactly centered in the right position for the assembly to slide back into place. A large paper clip straightened out with a bend in/on one end helps position the strut. It takes some patience, cussing and practice, but once you get it right you'll know the drill for the next time. Of course a diagram w/instructions helps. LLS

seagiant
01-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Hi,
Thought I had a link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXmVdrrByow

Nobade
01-11-2013, 09:29 AM
After the magazine is removed, dry fire the pistol. It only comes apart if the hammer isn't cocked. When you put it back together, the hammer must be down and the hammer strut must swing free to engage the mainspring.

KCSO
01-11-2013, 10:04 AM
They are often quite stiff and need a good twisting tug to pop them out. If the gun hasn't been apart before you probably have a build up of carbon on the barrel face and in the recesses.

TCLouis
01-11-2013, 11:38 PM
I think you will find reassembly far more difficult that takedown.

I learned volumes of new words when I had one. Then all of a sudden it would jus go together in no time.

TXGunNut
01-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Nice thing is once you get her disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled you won't have to do it again for quite awhile. Mine is a similar vintage and has had many thousands of rounds of cheap 22 ammo run thru it and it seldom really needs cleaning. Nobade describes the process well, IIRC. I learned to let gravity position the hammer strut when reassembling, beats chasing it around.

rbuck351
01-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Before starting make sure it is fired, hammer forward. Pry out the small release lever and with something for protection, grab the lever with vice grips and pull hard.
When reassembling, start by tipping the frame about 30 degrees front up and with hammer forward and the hammer strut hanging down. You have the correct angle on the frame when the hammer strut is hanging straight down. You can put a couple of nails in the wall to hang the frame at the proper angle the first couple of times but after you see what's going on it is easy. Pop the back of the frame smartly to make sure the frame lug has fully seated in the bottom of the barrel. Pull the trigger to make sure the hammer is forward and shove the lever assembly pin up through the bolt and action. Now is when most folks have trouble. The hammer strut has to be hanging straight down, meaning the the barrel up angle has to be right. Just rotate the lever assy in the frame and filp the locking lever in. It's harder to describe than to do.

MtGun44
01-13-2013, 01:10 AM
+1 on hammer forward.

STRONGLY recommend you read about reassembly, not really difficult but if you don't
understand the hammer strut relationship to the mainspring seat, you will go NUTS.

Bill