PDA

View Full Version : .475 200 yd drop test with WFNPB

44man
07-08-2007, 03:40 PM
I was fooling around today and decided to see how much more the WFN boolit drops over the WLN that drops around 20" at 200 with a 50 yd setting. I didn't have anything worth aiming at, I need to make some special targets. The red dot virtually covers these targets at 200 so I just tried to see some paper around the top and bottom edges. Anyway, the boolit drops roughly 29". ( I stapled three targets in line.) Two of the shots were just below the bottom paper so I drew through them with a marker on a separate paper.
I'm not happy with the group but I could not see a thing worth holding on. If you look close though, notice all the holes are perfectly round. Even the gray from the lead and lube is even on all sides.
My friend was shooting the steel plates and my paint can went dry so I stood it on the 100 yd rail. I knocked it off with the .475 with a big spray of paint, stood it up and shot it again. Notice both holes are almost one! This boolit is fantastic. I wonder what it would do with a 12X scope?

Bass Ackward
07-08-2007, 05:45 PM
I am sure that you know, but many don't and are often confused when we talk about stabilization.

My understanding of it, there is seldom a magic switch that stabilizes something or doesn't. Severe stabilization issues are noted with less than round holes or key holing true. But you can begin to lose stabilization and still have nice round holes. The example for this is when a group opens more than it should at another distance.

Let's say that we have a 1 group at 50 yards. Fully stabilized, that should be 2" at 100 and 4" at 200, etc. If you are outside of that grouping, many people mistake that it is them. This could be a large part of it, but as you start to lose stabilization, the wider the meplat, wind takes on more force. Not only that, but drag from the grease grooves is increased and more velocity loss occurs there too. Then you start to get vertical stringing.

The bullet that stabilizes best, will have the least velocity loss and thus stringing will be minimized. Nice round groups will be possible and are the standard by which many define good or adequate stabilization.

44man
07-08-2007, 07:49 PM
I was down in my valley with no wind, Bass. It is real shady and I just could not see the target without magnification. It was like aiming at a flea with an 10 minute dot. I feel the boolits hit as good as I could aim. Now the can at 100 was easy to hold on but there would be no way to see it at 200. If you use crosshairs in a scope, you can't appreciate how hard the red dot is to use at long range. Open sights are actually easier.
The dot blotted out an 8-1/2" by 11" target almost entirely except for a line of white, top and bottom. If you or I can blame the boolit for the group I got, we are both wrong.
But I will not remove the red dot for a scope! It is what I hunt with.
You should try aiming with the huge dot 30 feet up a tree over the target at 500 meters, then you would appreciate what I do a little more. It is a 4 minute dot but with the fuzz around it with my old eyes, it covers more. At 500 meters it appears larger then 24 inches. Do you have 4 minute thick crosshairs on any of your scopes?
But you have to realize that I have fun, nothing scientific, no thinking involved, just good shooting guns and boolits. If you think you can make me think, think again, hee, hee. Brain is shot, prostate is shot, eyes are shot, thumbs are arthritic but I can still show the young uns up that think 25 yd's is a far shot.
When I went down to get the can after the second shot and showed my friend, his jaw dropped about 10". It was worth it to see his face.

Larry Gibson
07-09-2007, 12:33 AM
"475 200 yd drop test with WFNPB "

Damn 44man, you dropped them bullets 200 yards (600 feet - yikes!!!) and they still shot that good? Where'd you find a ladder that tall? You are da man!

Larry Gibson

floodgate
07-09-2007, 01:04 AM
"Where'd you find a ladder that tall?"

Mixing a couple of threads here, but I remember when CAL-OSHA came out with the rule that, before you climbed a ladder over 16' tall, you had to tie it off at the top first.

floodgate

Bass Ackward
07-09-2007, 06:01 AM
You should try aiming with the huge dot 30 feet up a tree over the target at 500 meters, then you would appreciate what I do a little more. It is a 4 minute dot but with the fuzz around it with my old eyes, it covers more. At 500 meters it appears larger then 24 inches. Do you have 4 minute thick crosshairs on any of your scopes?

Nope. I am just not strong enough anymore to carry around that kinda weight on a daily basis. And I am not going to pull a wagon just to carry my handgun. I have scoped rifles that don't weight what that loaded Redhawk did with a "moon observation devise" attached. :grin:

No I was putting that out there for everyone. I know that there is a big math dissertation that goes with stabilization and you can supposedly calculate the drag coefficient too. Too scientific, and WAY beyond me. Takes the fun out of it as you state. Just people tend to be too quick to judge problems as themselves.

A relative came home for the 4th and of coarse I was shooting. He is about 10 years older than me and hasn't shot handgun for a decade because of every excuse from grip to trigger pull, sights, blah, blah, blah. I let him shoot and he astounded himself. (me too) He left cussing that he gave it up all these years and it WASN'T really him. Sad ................

The largest amount of questions I get involve 35s. And the next topic is stabilization related involving twist rates or ...... And many people believe that something is fully stabilized if they don't get key holing or SEE holes out of round. They chalk it up to fliers or something. Your posting provided an opportunity to get everyone thinking assuming anyone reads this. :grin

This is a cast bullet board, but it is not a long range board. When you get into long range shooting, a lot of .... refinement would be required to what we post daily.

Lloyd Smale
07-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Bass dont ever leave here i learn from you about daily!

44man
07-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Bass is not going to leave, we can't do without him. He makes me think but then the thought kind of goes away fast and I wonder why I am sitting here. I have set something down that has to go upstairs, like my dirty coffee cup and 20 trips later, it is still sitting there all dried up.
Don't get old!

44man
07-09-2007, 08:22 AM
I didn't feel so bad when one of the shooters, a lot younger then me, drove 100 miles to the shoot and forgot his shells.

LAH
07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I am sure that you know, but many don't and are often confused when we talk about stabilization.

My understanding of it, there is seldom a magic switch that stabilizes something or doesn't. Severe stabilization issues are noted with less than round holes or key holing true. But you can begin to lose stabilization and still have nice round holes. The example for this is when a group opens more than it should at another distance.

Let's say that we have a 1 group at 50 yards. Fully stabilized, that should be 2" at 100 and 4" at 200, etc. If you are outside of that grouping, many people mistake that it is them. This could be a large part of it, but as you start to lose stabilization, the wider the meplat, wind takes on more force. Not only that, but drag from the grease grooves is increased and more velocity loss occurs there too. Then you start to get vertical stringing.

The bullet that stabilizes best, will have the least velocity loss and thus stringing will be minimized. Nice round groups will be possible and are the standard by which many define good or adequate stabilization.

AMEN & AMEN