PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Progressive

EdZ KG6UTS
01-10-2013, 07:28 PM
In some stuff I hauled home I have a Hornady Pro7 progressive, just the basic press no case, bullet or primer feeder. The press seems to index and is "Hell for Stout" in construction. Now..is it worth chasing parts to restore this beast? Email is off to Hornady and I've picked up some info off the web but would like advice from a 'mechanic' with equipment experience. There have been some posts of restored early equipment and this at least looks a strong candidate.

Thanks a lot!

EdZ KG6UTS

RGMJ
01-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Hi Edz,

I had 1 Pro-7 many years ago and was able to buy parts from Hornady to refurbish the unit and upgrade it to a Projector Model (auto case ejection).

I'm not sure but I think most of the parts are still available from Hornady. Check also if you can send the unit to them so they can do the refurbishing.

I love my Hornady press. It is built tough and I 've loaded close to 20,000 rounds of various pistol and rifle calibers with little problems. After I refurbished my unit, I have not yet replaced any parts thereafter due to damage or wear-out. Priming can be a problem at times so I prime my cases using a hand held priming tool before running them in the Projector.

If you load several calibers, the new shell plates used in the LNL model fits the older Projector and if I'm not mistaken, also the Pro-7 presses.

Good Luck on your find...

cheese1566
01-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Good presses! I have three! A Pro7, Pro7 updated to a ProJector, and a ProJector.

Take a look at your press. My first one was Pro7 that was factory upgraded to a ProJector many years ago. A Pro7 on the bottom of the ram will have an index wheel with pins sticking out for the paws to engage. A ProJector will have a larger flat disc with notches machined in it for the paws.
Plus, the shellplates are a little different and not interchangeable*. The Pro7 will have a spring and steel ball bearing under the shellplate nested in the ram top plate and the shellplate will have corresponding "dimples" about 3/16" wide for the ball to seat and put the shellplate into correct position. A ProJector did away with the spring and ball bearing. It uses small spring loaded ball inserts pressed into the bottom of the shellplates (2) that correspond to dimples about 1/8" across on the ram top plate. (

(*: If the shellplates were sent along to Hornady for the Pro7 upgrade to a ProJector, then the ball spring inserts were added to them as well. I have some of those "upgraded" shellpates that I can use on my Pro7 and ProJectors. But i cannot use my few Pro7 shellpates on my ProJectors.)

The email to Hornady will tell if parts are still available. I stocked on some parts a couple years back and was fortunate to get some. Some are drying up and no longer made. The hardest will be getting primer tubes for the old girl...

EdZ KG6UTS
01-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Good presses!

Thank you and RGMJ too for the info! Yep it looked like a great piece of work, strong and worth saving. I'll pass on what I get from Hornady, been out in the desert for a while with no email so will have to catch up. If it can be reworked I'd like to set it up for 30.06 and 6.5X55.

Thanks again!

EdZ KG6UTS

cheese1566
01-16-2013, 11:53 PM
They are pretty good, even the old ones.
I delegated my old Pro7 to doing 30-06 for my Garand. I dont need bench rest quality ammo for her since I just love shooting offhand with her (no competition) and I love to let friends and family unload clips through her. Garands are kind of a unique experience for most common folk to shoot.

Hardcast416taylor
01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
If you could write here what you require to make the press work again, perhaps we can supply the needed parts. My upgraded Pro - 7 to Pro-Jector is still cranking away all these years since it was introduced. I don`t prime on the press either and I removed the auto powder drop and the loaded round ejector. It is used as a press and manual powder drop round loading machine. I load from .32 acp up thru my .416 Taylor on it.Robert

DennisMcharold
01-20-2013, 03:34 AM
I bought a used as part of a reloading package a non lock and load Pro-Jector a few months ago. I have it set up for 223 and it works without a hitch. I'm happy.

A pause for the COZ
01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
I got one this last spring. A Pro7 upgraded to the projector. I use it primarily for 357 and 38 special and when I need to do a run of 223 and 300 blacks outs. Works very well for those. Mine has a few issues with short fat cases like 45acp. It does work just not easy. You really have to fiddle with the shell plate to keep them strait.
223 case?? This was the main reason I got it was to have a dedicated 223 loader. It works sweet with those and the 357's
I can prime on the press and it works ok. I prefer to prime off the press though. There is allot going on with any progressive. Thats just one part I dont need to worry about when loading.