PDA

View Full Version : Recutting a mold

Hal H
01-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Is it cost effective to have a mold re cut ?

Change a four cavity .32 to .38 or .44. .

Anyone know who does mold re cutting?

Thanks
Hal

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-10-2013, 06:27 PM
I can't imagine it would be cost effective, the tooling set up for a custom mold runs $150+, whereas you could pick up a nice, used 4 cav for between $50-70, or get a fancy new custom mold from a group buy for $90ish, or spend $150+ on a new custom mold and keep the 4 cavity. Basically getting it recut will cost you as much as getting exactly what you want, without having to sacrifice the mold.

Bullshop
01-10-2013, 07:58 PM
At one time NEI offered that service and they still might.

tomme boy
01-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Talked to Tom at Accurate. He said he could do it, but it has to be a larger cal. He never said a price though.

Mk42gunner
01-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Hal,

While I'm not a machinist; I think you would be money ahead to sell your four cavity 32 cal mold, and apply the money towards the 38 or 44 mold that you want. What is the .32 mold?

Robert

Willbird
01-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Hal,

While I'm not a machinist; I think you would be money ahead to sell your four cavity 32 cal mold, and apply the money towards the 38 or 44 mold that you want. What is the .32 mold?

Robert

I typically price used but GC molds at around 80% of new plus a little to ship (note I am not the OP) and for example an Accurate that would mean selling for 60-65 and buying new for 75, meaning it costs 15 to trade up to what you want. It would run $4.95 of that 15 to ship Tom the old mold for recut.

Hal H
01-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Willbird

Do you have molds for sale?

Does "GC" stand for good condition?
What does "OP" stand for

Thanks
Hal

MBTcustom
01-11-2013, 06:17 PM
GC = Gas Check
OP = Original Poster
I too, would suggest selling the mold and buying a new one from one of the many custom mold sources. I personally have limited experience with Accurate (very, very, very, good experience! I highly recommend!) but most of the custom makers are setting new standards that have never been achieved before.

MtGun44
01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Seems like throwing away the effort that went into the original cavities if you recut. Cutting in
a virgin block should be more cost effective.

So- I fall with the sell it and buy a new one set.

Bill

Willbird
01-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Willbird

Do you have molds for sale?

Does "GC" stand for good condition?
What does "OP" stand for

Thanks
Hal

Nope Hal not any more :-)

kywoodwrkr
01-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Hal,
Please tell us what mold you have and then maybe a lot of the guess work going on could be on a better foundation.
Your 32 mold may be a junk 4 cavity or it may be a highly sought after, valuable, 4 cavity mold.
We can't help you with out all the data.
I don't mean for this to sound crisp.
The folks here will give you a fairly good and honest estimate on what you have.
You've received very good advise so far.
But please give additional information, for even better feedback.
AND I have to admit I fall into the trap of looking at what I have a question about and then asking that question, all most assuming everyone else is looking at the same item.[smilie=1:
I find the answers I get fit the description of the problem I gave usually.
Full description usually gets fuller answers.
Thanks.

Is it cost effective to have a mold re cut ?

Change a four cavity .32 to .38 or .44. .

Anyone know who does mold re cutting?

Thanks
Hal

Hal H
01-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Sorry not to reply sooner.

Its a new or near new 4 cavity Hensley & Gibbs for a .32-20.
I'll have to check on the number and get back with you.

Hal

DLCTEX
01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Sell it, buy the mould you want, pocket the change.

shooting on a shoestring
01-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Please don't sacrifice a great old H&G. DLCTEX is right! You'll probably come out money ahead selling that mould to someone who will love it and then you get to pick the new mould you want.

casterofboolits
01-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Please don't sacrifice a great old H&G. DLCTEX is right! You'll probably come out money ahead selling that mould to someone who will love it and then you get to pick the new mould you want.

Good advice! Let that H&G go to someone who can use it.

nanuk
01-19-2013, 05:10 AM
remember, Those H&G moulds are "Vintage" and sell for Hunnerts uh Dollers on Ebay!!!!

Hal H
01-19-2013, 08:52 PM
The 32-20 H&G mold is a #67.

Hal

MT Gianni
01-19-2013, 11:23 PM
In cars that would be selling a pristine 67 GTO to buy a Ford Fusion. You should have money left over.

Idaho Mule
01-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Hal, I would LOVE to buy that mould from you, please PM me with info. I kinda like the 32-20. JW

Hal H
01-20-2013, 12:34 PM
JW

I would like to trade it for a nice H & G 4 cavity #503 .44 flat base mold.

You don't happen to have one of those do you?

Hal

JIMinPHX
01-20-2013, 11:30 PM
If I had a mold with a damaged cavity, that would no longer make a useable boolit, I would re cut the cavity to something larger. If I had a mold that made a boolit that I just didn't really want, I would sell that mold & buy another one. It is generally very easy to sell a mold here on the board.

MikeS
01-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Sell the H&G mould, unless it's been abused, and is no longer serviceable it would be foolish to recut an H&G mould, they're no longer made, considered to be the best moulds by many, so I'm sure if it's in half way decent shape you should be able to sell it, then buy a #503 mould (either genuine H&G or the Mihec clone as I mentioned in a different thread you started), and still have some extra cash left over!

I'm sorry, but I have to repeat myself here, if the .32 mould you have is in good shape, PLEASE sell it (or swap it), it'd almost be a crime to recut a working H&G mould rather than getting it to somebody that wants/needs it!

And again, welcome to the forum, if you stick around here for a while you will find us a great bunch of folks to hang out with, and you won't find anywhere on the web with more knowledge about casting boolits!

Idaho Mule
01-23-2013, 01:39 AM
Hal, I do not have the mould you are looking for, or any other HG moulds for that matter. I am still interested in the one you have tho and if you do decide to sell it I would definitely like to get a shot at it. As I said in my previous post I love the 32-20 and enjoy casting and shooting different boolits in the several that my family has. Please PM me if you want to sell it, Thanks, JW