PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Blackhawk experts, newbie needs help

wrench
01-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I need some opinions from all of you single action type guys:-D
I really, really want-a Ruger Blackhawk, blued, Bisley, 5.5" barrel, in 45 colt. The trouble is, Ruger doesn't make them.:cry:
I think these are my choices.
1. I can get everything I want, only with a 7.5" barrel. Give me some advice on the longer barrel. I've only shot the 5.5", what do you think of the longer barrel as an option. This will be a range gun only.
2. Get the normal frame, and buy the parts, somehow, to turn it into a Bisley. This will get me what I want, but more money/time invested.
What would y'all do?
:coffee:

rhbrink
01-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Range gun only! You've got be kidding! Get the 7.5 and never look back you'll love it. I have a shooting buddy that has one and it's a sweet shooting piece of equipment. I always thought that I would not care for the 7.5 inch barrel but after shooting his I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. It seems to hold very naturally for me anyway slightly muzzle heavy but sure makes for a nice shooting handgun.

RB

shorty500M
01-10-2013, 05:46 PM
buy 7.5 and have cut to 5.5. Cheaper and quicker than hunting parts

white eagle
01-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Get one like you want in stainless

44man
01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Get the 7-1/2" and go with it. Just super. My all time favorite barrel length.

Wolfer
01-10-2013, 09:02 PM
When I bought my new Vaq I wanted a 6-1/2" barrel so I bought a 7-1/2 with the plans of cutting it off.
Had it several years now and have no plans of cutting it!

tacklebury
01-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Bah, get the regular grip. Better for heavy loads and available in a 5.5" Convertible so you can shoot ACP too. ;)

wrench
01-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Thank you guys for all of your input. The gun's gonna be black if I've got to spray paint it, (joking!), I just don't like stainless a bit.
Blued steel and wood for me. :mrgreen:
Also, I have small hands, and the bisley grip fits me much better than the standard grip.
You've just about got me talked into the 7.5" barrel...

BCRider
01-10-2013, 11:53 PM
I've got the shorter single actions for cowboy action and a 7.5 inch Super Blackhawk in .44Mag. You will not find anything wrong at all with the longer barrel that you can feel directly. Only if you switch back and forth a few times and do nothing at all but feel for the heavier long barrel will it become noticable.

And the longer sights baseline length is appreciated when going for the longer shots and tighter groups.

MT Gianni
01-11-2013, 12:53 AM
I find anything over 6" awkward to pack around and get out in a hurry. My 45 is 4 5/8" and I find it a very usefull length.

BruceB
01-11-2013, 02:23 AM
For a FIELD gun, the 7.5" works just fine.

My 7.5" Super Blackhawk Old Model rides on my left hip in an old cap& ball reproduction cavalry flap holster; on my left it sits muzzle-to-rear and butt-forward. I rarely notice the barrel length, and a reverse draw gets it out in fine fashion ( I trust myself not to shoot myself as the muzzle clears the leather). Should mention that I am a left-hander, hence the "reverse draw".

Still, I came back from a moose/caribou hunt in '89 and mentioned that the ol' Ruger (bought new in '66) seemed a bit cumbersome. My wife and daughter gave me a 4" S&W .44 Mountain Revolver that Christmas, so now I have TWO favorite field .44s.

rhbrink
01-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Can you go somewhere and pickup and handle one with the grip that you like with a 7.5 inch barrel? If you can try it and see how it feels. Since you said range use only does that mean informal target practice or cowboy action ahooting? I would get the grip that you feel comfortable with even if it has a longer barrel and shoot it if it seems too long it can be shortened but I would bet that after shooting for a bit you'll like it just fine as is. Now if packing in a side holster I much prefer a 5.5 inch barrel or even the shorter 4 5/8 inch. Primary hunting revolver with a long barrel either a cross draw or sholder holster.

RB

kweidner
01-11-2013, 07:11 AM
I like my 4 5/8 for carry. But if I don't plan on carrying it, 7.5 is nice for extra sight radius. My 4 5/8 is super accurate. It certainly shoots better than me. After the help from this forum , firelapping and opening up the throats, It shoots as well as my full blown custom 29 Smith.

ffg
01-11-2013, 07:18 AM
I have the exact gun you are looking for, sorry , not for sale .
Just wanted to say with Keith bullets it is the most accurate handgun I own . I have hunted wabbits with it with great success .
It is my sidearm when in hog country .
God bless ole Bill Ruger , gone but not forgotten .

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2013, 07:55 AM
aint a 5.5 inch gun but i took a 4 5/8s 45 colt blued blackhawk and put a bisley grip frame on it and its a pretty nice setup.

wrench
01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
There's a gunshow this weekend, so I'll give it a looksee. Range use just means plinking at targets, but I did have a fantasy of carrying in while walking in the woods...

44man
01-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Thank you guys for all of your input. The gun's gonna be black if I've got to spray paint it, (joking!), I just don't like stainless a bit.
Blued steel and wood for me. :mrgreen:
Also, I have small hands, and the bisley grip fits me much better than the standard grip.
You've just about got me talked into the 7.5" barrel...
You will grow to love stainless. I have never had any deer see my guns. Blue is pretty and wood is just super but so is stainless and rubber.
I had a friend that duck hunted and painted even Browning shotguns. I had the job of cleaning the paint off. They were ugly. Don't do it.
Two different guns to be admired as they are.

makicjf
01-11-2013, 11:15 AM
I have two convertible standard grip blackhawks in 45 colt/45 acp. Love them both. Plus a birdshead Vaquero with a 3 1/2 inch bbl. I love them all. the 7 1/2, the 4 5/8 and the vaquero. Buy the 7 1/2. My guess is it will multiply and soon have 5 1/2 inch and 4 5/8 inch buddies to hang out with. I use all three for cowboy action, hunting and hunting from horseback. The 7 1/2 hangs best for me on crossdraw. Wonderful, rugged, powerful weapons. Two Ruger blackhawks, a 30/30, a rossi 92 carbine chambered in 45 colt, a Cowboy in 45/70 and a coach gun in 12 guage are the weapons I will never part with... my ak could go, the bolt rifles, fine. If I was going to another planet of an unknown nature I'd take two Blackhawks( one long, loaded with 320 at 1200 one short loaded with 255 keiths at 1050) in 45 colt the 45/70 and a coach gun. The 45 carbine would go too.
rambling for no reason... you'll love the Blackhawk.
Jason

Pb2au
01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Bah, get the regular grip. Better for heavy loads and available in a 5.5" Convertible so you can shoot ACP too. ;)

+1 on this set up. I have the same rig and love it. Built like a tank, accurate, and if you run out of ammo, you can beat your target into submission with it.

375RUGER
01-11-2013, 01:01 PM
if you're stuck on the shorter barrel get the blackhawk convertible and a bisley grip frame conversion kit. You probably won't have any problem to sell the original grip frame.
Why the 5.5" barrel? the 4 5/8" jumps out of the holster, just saying.

rintinglen
01-12-2013, 12:44 AM
if you're stuck on the shorter barrel get the blackhawk convertible and a bisley grip frame conversion kit. You probably won't have any problem to sell the original grip frame.
Why the 5.5" barrel? the 4 5/8" jumps out of the holster, just saying.

But you may have difficulty finding a bisley grip conversion kit. I am still looking for one for my SBH Hunter.:(

MT Chambers
01-12-2013, 02:14 AM
But you may have difficulty finding a bisley grip conversion kit. I am still looking for one for my SBH Hunter.:(
Why don't/didn't you get the Bisley Hunter model? I like mine, but for handling, nothing beats my FA in .454 Casull with 4 3/4" barrel, there's just something special about short barrelled SAs.

wrench
01-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Lots of options with these pistols, for sure. I love the way the Bisley grip feels and shoots, as for barrel length, the 5.5" just looks well proportioned to me.
Maybe I'm looking at two pistols, a 7.5" Bisley Blackhawk for the range, and a 5.5" or shorter Bisley Vaquero to carry. Hmmmmm.

rhbrink
01-13-2013, 06:06 AM
That'll work!:-D

Combat Diver
01-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Ruger does make the pistol you want.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/models.html
http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/specSheets/0472.html
http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/specSheets/0470.html

CD

wrench
01-13-2013, 08:28 PM
thank you for looking, combat diver, aren't those all stainless? Stainless don't come to live at my house...gotta be blued.;)

Combat Diver
01-14-2013, 09:11 AM
All SS and no blued ones of yet. :(

CD