PDA

View Full Version : Used Press Help!

WarpathEngineering
01-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Hello,

I'm just finishing up getting everything together to start reloading, mainly .223, .30-06 & 45-70. I was thinking about getting a Lee Universal Decapping Die so I can deprime before I clean my brass with SS Media/Water/Soap. That got me thinking about getting a Lee C frame press to set up a dedicated decapping station, I already have a main press, but have been having second thoughts on the Lee. I've been looking on Ebay and ran across a couple of postings for vintage presses, C-H Swag-o-Matics & H frame, Herters Super Model 3, Pacific Power C Frame & Echo Champ C frame. Any opinions good or bad on any of these? Really just want to use it for a dedicated decapper station but thinking that if they are heavy enough, I might use it for swaging pistol bullets when it comes time.

Thanks in advance.

nicholst55
01-10-2013, 04:49 PM
If you think you'll be swaging pistol bullets, by all means buy a cast iron 'O' press, rather than a 'C' press. If you shop around you can frequently find decent deals on them, but probably not on FleaBay or GunJoker. JMHO.

joec
01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
The Lee C frame or Reloader press is fine for some things even swagging pistol bullets and will probably work fine for decapping also for a cheap price < $30 bucks. Now I just gave one to my BIL who wanted to start loading and I had one so sent it to him replacing it with the Lee Classic Cast press which is about 4x the price. I suggest either the Lee Hand press which I use but mostly 45 Colt decapping so don't know how it might work with some harder primers found in some surplus cases. The one draw back is after about 25 primers you will need to turn it over to dump the spent primers or it will begin to bind up. So basically shop around for a good single stage press in either a C or O shape for less than $50 should work fine. I was never sure about the strength of the Reloader being aluminum cast type.

salpal48
01-10-2013, 05:33 PM
A dedicated press for decapping is fine. A little background on Older equipment. They are generally still the best. with some drawbacks Today. Ch swage O Matiic. I had one and I don't think they can be adapted for reloading Ammunition . just Swaging Cast Bullets, H frame presses . and I have several take generally Hollywood Type shell holders but can be used with an adaptor and Modern shell holders. Same with Herters Pacific will use modern shell holders. I do not Know anything about Echo. All the presses you have selected will last a Lifetime .O type presses are the strongest . I prefer the Lyman ALL American Turret. You should get something that will do everything and spend the money once. The prices on E bay have become outrages, But that's up to you.

WarpathEngineering
01-10-2013, 05:36 PM
My main press is a Bonanza. I was hoping just to find a cheap way of having a dedicated decapper. If money were no object, I'd be buying a Redding Big Boss II but I think that would be a waste since it would just sit at the end of the bench to do one operation while the Bonanza would do the the lion's share.

trixter
01-10-2013, 07:14 PM
IMHO, the Lee will do just fine for a "Dedicated Decapping Station" I use one for all my tumble lube sizing and it works just fine.

Pressman
01-10-2013, 08:17 PM
The Pacific will give you great service without the shellholder hassle of the Herter's. The ECHO uses a unique shellholder that is generally not available. Collectors item only.
Ken

Dorf
01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
I have an old Pacific Super "C" that I bought new in 1963. So far I've been unable to wear it out. Also have a used Redding (model unknown) single station "C" type that I picked up at a gun dealers junk box for $10, that I like almost as much as the old Pacific (which has a spent primer catcher that the Redding does not). Also have a Hornady L-N-L progressive that I use almost as much as the two single stage presses. However it is much easier to uset the single stage pressed for working up odd lots of ammo or new loads. The L-N-L just takes too much time to change over for short runs of different loads. I have used the C-H Swagomatic sometime in the distant past to make .44 cal half jacketed slugs, but found it to be a PITA to either cast the "slugs" in a Lyman adjustable mold or cut lead wire to the proper length to swage the finished bullet to a given weight. Also the press had a tendency to flex while swaging the bullets if the size of the blank core was a bit long and had to "bleed" the excess lead out of the die--much the same as bleeding case lube out of a sizing die. As a side note: this was prior to the Federal Firearms act of 1967 which really put a crimp in that particular custom loading business. All in all, I don't thing the swaging process was worth the effort- YMMV

seagiant
01-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Hi,
Get the Pacific!

HangFireW8
01-11-2013, 01:37 PM
WPE,

Funny, I had the same idea a couple of years ago to supplement my RC. Due to the primer disposal issue mentioned, plus the balkiness of the lever, I used it less and less until I got a good deal on two Lee Classic Cast O frames and got a CoAx from a friend in quick succession.

That rendered the Lee more than a little redundant. Nonetheless, it did do its job.

HF