PDA

View Full Version : After Tumbling with Walnut media (Lizard Bedding)

SharuLady
01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
I purchased walnut media (Lizard Litter), added a good splash of mineral spirits (not quite sure what a good splash is in a measurement) and 1 capful of Nu Finish. Then ran the tumbler for 30 min. Removed the media, added the brass then replaced the media. Ran the tumbler for 3 hours, all brass came out clean and shining but..... there is very fine dust inside all the brass. :???:

Is this normal? Does this also happen with corn cob media? Or did I not add enough mineral spirts? Shouldn't the fine dust be removed before sizing? Do I rinse them with plain water or does that defeat the Nu Finish polish? :roll:
TYIA,
Ruth

astroskg
01-10-2013, 02:43 PM
i use to have that problem with Walnut . i started cutting up used Dryer Sheets in thin strips about 1/2 wide and put it into the media and brass, you will notice a difference in the amount of fine dust unfortunately it does nothing for the dust already inside the brass.

Beekeeper
01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Only when it is new media.
Use the dryer sheets or as I do a cut up paper towel.
Anything that will attract the dust works.
The longer you use the media the better it gets. If you always use the paper towel or dryer sheets the media will stay cleaner longer.
Mine has been in the tumbler for almost 2 years and still looks good.

beekeeper

SharuLady
01-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Ty both for your reply's and comments. I am going to try some different things with the media and the brass on the dust issues.
1) I am going to run the tumbler with just the media but add Paper towel strips and dryer sheet strips, then keep running the tumber with out brass to see if I can clean up the dust problem. Will probably have to change the two diferent types of strips more than once or twice. Maybe more if needed.

2) With the brass that has been tumbled but has very fine dust inside I will try a small amt of brass in plain water bath and then dry.

3)Again with the brass that has been tumbled but has very fine dust inside I will try using a small amt of brass with the air compresser to blow the dust out.

At least this way I can find out which way will work better.

Ruth

SharuLady
01-12-2013, 02:23 PM
I had forgotten to mention that I had originally cleaned all the brass with the citric acid and dawn soap mixture then dried in the oven. So they were already clean and shiney outside and mostly so on the inside but they needed some more cleaning inside. That is why I then tumbled them.

Ruth

TNsailorman
01-12-2013, 03:13 PM
If you live where you can do this: Take the new lizard litter/walnut outside on a windy day. With a plastic bucket to catch the litter in, hold the bag of litter about a foot and a half to 2 feet above the plastic bucket and pour the lizard litter into the bucket slowly. This will allow the dust/fines in the litter to be carried away by the wind. Note: stand beside or upwind of the bucket, never downwind of the bucket. The dust/fines mixed with the wet material(wax and mineral spirits) and can but not always lead to coating on the inside of the brass. The inside of the case doesn't get as much abrasive action as the outside, so the coating doesn't get scrubbed off. I learned this from someone on this site, it was not originally my idea but I use it and it works for me. take care, james

Bwana
01-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Do not be concerned with "dust" inside the case.

**oneshot**
01-12-2013, 10:03 PM
I use "used" dryer sheets cut into strips. They take alot of dust out. Just don't cut them into small squares as they will somehow get pushed into straightwalled cartridges.

fryboy
01-12-2013, 10:15 PM
paper towels and t.p. squares also work to help get the dust out but used dryer sheets really work the best ( it's also the only reason i buy and use dryer sheets :P ) in a side by side test ( ie; all three in the tumbler ) the dryer sheets really do it , yes'm a few cycles with changing the sheets helps at first but thankfully they are much much shorter than brass polishing cycles , my routine is get the dust out as much as possible first ( the wind or fan if no wind trick can help ) but once in the tumbler 2-3 cycles is about all i need , i then add the polish and let assimilate , if fresh you can run brass then ( ie; still slightly moist from the additive ) , if not that's when you add a couple teaspoons of mineral spirits and again let assimilate , add brass cover and run as long as you wish , if you have another batch ready you can run it immediately after as some mineral spirits will still remain , and if you havent used it for a bit and it's again dry the mineral spirit trick again usually works wonders . because i tend to be a bit anal i like to use a clean corn cob umm rinse after using additive , this assures that nothing gets in my dies but that's just me

btw ? for those who live in ice and snow country and perhaps carry kitty litter or a sand bag to get unstuck or traction on the ice - used media works wonderful for this !!! ( i had to do it on year in my driveway just to get out of it [doh] )

2ridgebacks
01-13-2013, 12:58 PM
I ran mine the other day for two batches w the lid off. The brass came out much less dusty. Do this outside should go without saying.

SharuLady
01-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Ty all for your comments and suggestions, it is appreciated!
I will try all the different suggestions put forth. Maybe I am just being anal about wanting the dust gone from inside the cases but being a noob, my concern was I don't want to risk my new dies with dust in the cases. So I am tinkering or playing around currently with cleaning all the brass.

My foremost problem is we purchased some property (20 acres with home, 2 barns, outbuildings, etc.), but we have not finished moving everything down there as yet. So I don't want to set up all my equipment until I move there and have to tear everything down to just have to set it all up again later.
My better half became ill and was hospitalized but is now back on his feet and back to work so hopefully we will resume the moving so that I can move down there to work and keep an eye on everything else we have moved already.
I can't wait to move, it is beautiful and so peaceful and scenic. It is kind of like in the middle of nowhere in farm country. Better half will be retiring in 2 1/2 yrs. So he will be coming home on weekends until then, because of the long drive there and back every day.
Oh well, my apologies for talking to much! :roll: Normally I am not a big talker!
Ty once again for tips and comments and your kind patience.
Ruth

lightman
01-13-2013, 10:29 PM
The dust in your cases will not hurt anything, but if it bothers you,the dryer sheet trick works well. There is nothing wrong with giving your cases a bath in hot soapy water,either. Just allow enough time for them to dry,before loading. I think that corncob may be cleaner than walnut.
Congrats on Hubby retiring soon, I'm thinking about going about that time myself. It sounds like you have a nice place. LIghtman

MtGun44
01-14-2013, 11:47 PM
walnut dust is toxic for many, can cause allergies. I stopped using it years ago. IMO,
corncob is better.

Bill

7of7
01-14-2013, 11:57 PM
I stopped using both, corncob and walnut... went to wet tumble in stainless steel media, with citric acid, and simple green.. my brass comes out looking new..every time.. can either use a heat gun and blow dry it, or just let it sit for a while...